Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Ancelotti acknowledges Man City’s superiority after 4-0 thrashing: “Better than us”

Published

on

Photo by OLI SCARFF/AFP via Getty Images

Manchester City hammered four goals past Real Madrid on Wednesday night to book a ticket to the UEFA Champions League final at Istanbul. The very fact that the scoreline reflects such a heavy defeat on a night when Thibaut Courtois was at his best tells the entire story.

The Sky Blues not only dominated the game but made the men in white look like amateurs with their dynamic and attacking football. The result is only fair and deserved for Guardiola’s side.

Carlo Ancelotti spoke to the media after his team’s tough defeat and covered topics ranging from the opposition to his review of the season. Here are the snippets from his interaction.

The manager began his press conference with words of appreciation for Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City and the first half in which they completely outplayed the defending champions.

“We played against opposition who deserved to win tonight because they played with more intensity and real quality in the first half. They really paved the way to the final there. They were better than us today like we were last season. That can happen in a Champions League semi-final.”

Nothing appeared to work for Los Blancos at Etihad on Wednesday. They struggled to string together passes and move forward and were under constant pressure from the English leaders. Speaking about what went wrong, he said,

“We didn’t manage to implement what we’d planned. It doesn’t have to be a drama. We have lost a game against superior opposition on the night. We can’t think the attitude wasn’t right for a Champions League semi-final. It’s just a step which means we have to try and be better next year.”

The UEFA Champions League has always been a special competition for Real Madrid. The men in white are designed for the big nights and yesterday’s loss will go down as one of the rare occasions that they did not have enough to compete. Ancelotti appreciated his squad for their effort and expressed his enthusiasm for the next edition.

“This squad did very well last year and this year. They beat City last year in the semi-final and we won the Champions League, but today we didn’t have it in us to play in another final. I’m convinced that this squad will do better next season and we’re already focused on the next edition of the Champions League, where we want to be top-billing again.”

Ancelotti was then asked to review Real Madrid’s season across all competitions given that they now no longer compete for any title. The Italian was optimistic about the Merengues’ results and hoped for a strong finish in the games to come.

“It’s been a good season. There are four games to go and we have to give it our best shot. Hopefully, we can finish well. Reaching a Champions League semi-final is a success because only four teams can reach it. Losing a semi-final can happen.”

Finally, the inevitable question surrounding his future popped up and Ancelotti wouldn’t hear any of it. Addressing rumours about his continuity next season, the tactician said,

“The club president was quite clear 15 days ago. So nobody has any doubt. What the president tells me privately I’m not going to say here.”

Source: Real Madrid website

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid’s pursuit of 18-year-old prodigy dependent on captain’s future – report

Published

on

By

Photo by Fran Santiago/Getty Images

Real Madrid will step up their efforts to sign Lille defender Leny Yoro if Nacho decides to leave the club, according to a report by Agustin Martin in AS.

The situation surrounding Nacho is becoming increasingly uncertain. While he has received a lucrative offer from Al Ittihad, the move has reportedly hit a roadblock.

It is said that Nacho feels that his role in the team has not progressed under coach Ancelotti and his absence from the starting lineup in important matches, like the first leg of the quarterfinals against Manchester City and the Clasico has made him consider leaving the club. 

Furthermore, the recoveries of Eder Militao and David Alaba, along with the presence of Antonio Rudiger and the potential return of Rafa Marin have also influenced his thoughts about his future.

Nacho is aware of market movements

Real Madrid are very much interested in signing Leny Yoro. (Photo by SEBASTIEN SALOM-GOMIS/AFP via Getty Images)

Interestingly, it is not just his teammates’ presence that has made Nacho think about leaving. There are strong rumours about Real Madrid signing Leny Yoro as well. 

The plan is to sign Yoro either this summer and possibly loan him out if Nacho stays, or in 2025 to join the first team. 

If Nacho decides to leave, it would pave the way for Yoro to join immediately. This decision depends on Nacho’s willingness to stay for another year or take up one of the offers he has received. 

This means the potential signing of Yoro hinges on Nacho’s decision. If the club captain chooses to leave, Yoro could join Real Madrid this year or next. 

For what it is worth, Yoro would strengthen a defensive lineup where most players, except for Militao and possibly Rafa Marín, are over thirty years old. But for this to happen, Nacho must decide whether to stay at Real Madrid or open the door for Yoro’s arrival.

Continue Reading