Real Madrid News
Ancelotti plans to start 26-year-old ace against Osasuna, Man City in Modric’s absence
On Friday, Real Madrid were dealt with a bitter injury blow as midfield mainstay Luka Modric was ruled out for two weeks due to a hamstring problem he picked up against Girona earlier in the week.
It meant that the 37-year-old will certainly miss the Copa del Rey final against CA Osasuna on May 6 and will be a doubt for the UEFA Champions League semi-final first leg against Manchester City three days later.
It comes as a huge blow for the reigning champions of Spain and Europe ahead of a crucial run of fixtures at the business end of the season.
And, according to AS, manager Carlo Ancelotti’s plan to deal with Modric’s absence is to start Dani Ceballos in the middle of the park against both Osasuna and Manchester City.
The 26-year-old is set to become a free agent at the end of the season with his contract expiring on June 30. However, over the course of the season, Ceballos has demonstrated that he is deserving of a new contract at the Santiago Bernabeu.
So, it has already been reported that the Merengues have already called his representatives to discuss a new deal.
And the fact that Ancelotti is ready to back Ceballos to replace Modric in crucial games against Osasuna in the CdR final, which will take place in his native Seville, and Manchester City, ahead of someone like Aurelien Tchouameni shows the faith the manager has in him.
When asked about Modric’s replacement in his press conference yesterday, Ancelotti had said: “The one I see as the most similar in terms of characteristics is Ceballos.”
It is now up to the 26-year-old Spanish international to justify the manager’s decision by putting up impressive displays in the buildup to those critical games, starting with today’s match against UD Almeria at the Bernabeu.
Real Madrid News
Real Madrid will discuss new deal for Spanish forward until 2027 – Romano
Real Madrid have officially announced the first departure of the 2022/23 season as Marco Asensio leaves the club on a free transfer. The Spaniard was part of the Madrid setup for eight years, and leaves with three Champions Leagues and La Ligas to his name.
With Vinicius Jr, Rodrygo, and Eden Hazard in the team, Asensio was the only winger in the team who preferred to play on the right rather than on the left. His left-footedness was also crucial for this.
Madrid will now have to assess the market for replacements, even though they will be handed one themselves in the summer in the form of Brahim Diaz. The Spaniard finishes his loan spell at AC Milan in the summer, and will return to Madrid.
Madrid will have to make a final call on his future, but as of now, are ready to discuss a new long-term deal for and with Diaz, as per a report published by Fabrizio Romano. The extension will be valid until 2027.
Diaz, now 23, initially joined Real Madrid from Manchester City in 2019, completing a €18 million move in the search of game-time. Six appearances in six months later, though, he moved to AC Milan on loan, and has been there since.
However, getting him to stay at Madrid will be difficult, as the player evidently wants to continue at Milan for the foreseeable future. He even suggested his desire to continue in a recent interview.
“I’m happy here at Milan. I feel very good at this club, then I don’t know what is going to happen. I kissed the badge because that’s what I felt at that moment,” he said.
They want him to replace Asensio at the Santiago Bernabeu, but will not force him to stay if he wants to leave.