Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Ancelotti talks Courtois, Asensio, Nacho, injuries after RB Leipzig 3-2 Real Madrid

Published

on

Photo by Stuart Franklin/Getty Images

Real Madrid’s game at RB Arena on Tuesday night was a significant event in the picture of their overall season so far. Los Blancos were unbeaten heading into the clash against RB Leipzig but everything changed on the field as they fell to a 3-2 defeat.

The loss does not have any serious implications for the team’s chances in the UCL but is a big psychological blow to the team’s mentality. Carlo Ancelotti spoke to the press after the game in Germany and addressed topics including the shocking result and injured players.

The manager first talked about how the team took Tuesday’s defeat and the implications it had on their UCL campaign.

“This defeat hurts but not so much. We still can qualify as first.”

“You learn more from a loss than from 10 wins in a row. We are going to focus on what has not gone well. We haven’t been good on set pieces in defence, where we’ve conceded two goals. We are usually better, but this can happen. We haven’t played the game we wanted.”

He then mentioned that a first defeat was always around the corner and did not show much disappointment at the result.

“It was obvious that sooner or later we would have lost a game. It happens.”

After the game, Thibaut Courtois spoke to the press and said that the team lacked intensity. When asked about his goalkeeper’s comments, Ancelotti said,

“Courtois said we played without intensity? Everyone has their opinion.”

The manager refused to comment on his team’s performance and that of Leipzig. He simply said that his team could not make the most of their opportunity.

“Leipzig played the way they wanted. We had our chances but it didn’t end well. I can’t say anything more.”

Luka Modrić, Karim Benzema and Federico Valverde were all unavailable on the night and Ancelotti acknowledged that their absence impacted the result against Leipzig.

“If we missed the injured players? Of course, we had absences tonight. The players who were in Madrid couldn’t play obviously, and today’s players have won many games. I haven’t changed the team much.”

On Marco Asensio, who made his first start of the season, Ancelotti added: “He played well, he suffered like everyone else, he gave an assist.”

On changing the positions of Nacho and Antonio Rudiger during the game, he explained: “Nacho was more used to pressuring up front than Rudiger and I think he did well, we entered the game and we had the opportunity to make it 2-2.”

Source: MARCA

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid out-of-favour defender now unlikely to leave the club

Published

on

Photo by GABRIEL BOUYS/AFP via Getty Images

Real Madrid missed out on the signing of Leny Yoro after deciding not to match Manchester United’s offer for the 18-year-old defender.

With the French prodigy now on his way to the Premier League, Los Blancos are assessing their options before deciding whether to sign a new centre-back or not.

As things stand, the reigning champions of Spain and Europe seem to be leaning towards relying on their existing options rather than going into the market.

Jesus Vallejo unlikely to leave

As such, MARCA reports that the likelihood of Jesus Vallejo leaving the club have now significantly reduced.

Indeed, the 27-year-old out-of-favour defender now appears more and more likely to continue at Real Madrid beyond this summer.

Set to stay. (Photo by Angel Martinez/Getty Images)

Vallejo returned to the Santiago Bernabeu after finishing his loan stint at Granada during which he hardly played due to injury and fitness woes.

As such, reports suggested that Carlo Ancelotti & co. were not planning on counting on him next season, even though he was handed a new shirt number recently.

But with the Leny Yoro operation collapsing and Real Madrid not keen on recruiting anyone from the market at this point, the Spanish ace is now unlikely to leave the club.

With David Alaba still sidelined, Antonio Rudiger and Eder Militao will start the new season as the first-choice centre-back pairing and Vallejo will serve as the backup while Aurelien Tchouameni will also be an option.

Vallejo, for his part, wanted to stay put and see out his contract which expires in 2025. And, as things stand, it appears that the player will get his wish.

Continue Reading