Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Ancelotti talks Marcelo, Benzema, Vinicius, Alaba, Casemiro ahead of Espanyol clash

Published

on

Photo via Getty Images

Real Madrid are inches away from winning their 35th La Liga title as they get ready to take on Espanyol at the Santiago Bernabeu. Should Carlo Ancelotti’s men avoid defeat, their position at the top of the table would be confirmed for good.

Ancelotti could become the first-ever manager to win a league title in the top five leagues in Europe if Madrid can as little as take a point tomorrow.

They are, however, coming off a seven-goal thriller against Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium. While they bowed down 4-3, it has certainly given them enough momentum heading into the weekend game.

Ahead of this historic clash, the Italian coach took part in his routinely pre-game press conference; all quotes in this thread by Madrid Universal.

On the possible title win: “We know we are very close to win a title tomorrow but we have to get a point because it’s not over yet.”

On Marcelo: “Marcelo? He has suffered as a player because he has not played a lot this season. He is our captain and he’s a professional. He’s been perfect for his teammates. I respect him a lot.”

On celebrations: “Celebrating tomorrow? We have not thought about it yet but if we win we will celebrate it of course.”

On Benzema and Vinicius resting: “Vinicius and Benzema? They can rest tomorrow yes, but if a player is fine he will play. I will bench the players who are tired and not because it’s an easier game tomorrow.”

On the starting XI: “I can’t use Alaba, Nacho and Militao tomorrow so Vallejo will play tomorrow. I could use Casemiro as CB because he has recovered.”

“We have many options for the midfield tomorrow because all of them have recovered after the City game.”

On Casemiro’s replacement: “We don’t need a replacement for Casemiro because we have many players who can play in that role. Kroos, Camavinga…”

On Marco Asensio: “Asensio is fresh and can start tomorrow. I will evaluate what to do with Benzema.”

On David Alaba: “Alaba has suffered the same problem in the abductor he suffered the last week. I don’t know if he will play against City, we have to wait until Tuesday.”

On Mauricio Pochettino’s words about Mbappe: “What Pochettino said about Mbappe? I think all the Madridistas are thinking about La Liga and the Champions League right now. Only about that.”

“Pochettino said Mbappe will 100% stay? Sometimes coaches don’t tell the truth.”

On Madrid’s attack: “Many goals? Benzema is doing an amazing season, Vinicius has improved, Asensio has scored a lot of goals, Modric and Kroos have scored, Casemiro, Rodrygo…we have improved.”

On lineup selection: “I usually talk to my players to know how they feel but at the end I always decide who will play. The player’s opinion is important but not the most important.”

Source: Real Madrid Twitter

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Ancelotti-favourite defender will leave Real Madrid if club signs 23-year-old ace

Published

on

Photo by David Ramos/Getty Images

With Kylian Mbappe’s signing now a completed objective, Real Madrid turn to what was always considered the second most critical operation of this summer – Alphonso Davies.

The Canadian full-back has been on Los Blancos’ radar for a while now, but with his contract with Bayern Munich running until 2025, his signing is seen to be a tad bit more complicated.

The Bavarians’ firm stance that they wish to persist with the speedster, needless to say, has only made the objective more complicated for Los Blancos.

No room for three

Despite Bayern Munich’s repeated advances towards Davies in recent weeks, Real Madrid are firm that they will attempt to sign the player this summer.

In light of the Canadian full-back’s possible arrival, Cadena SER reveals that Ferland Mendy will almost certainly leave Real Madrid if Davies’ signing is pulled off.

Carlo Ancelotti is clear that he has no room for three left-backs in his squad. One of Fran Garcia and Mendy must thus leave the Spanish capital in such a scenario and the Frenchman is better placed on that front.

Ferland Mendy (L) could leave Real Madrid if Davies arrives.. (Photo by Lars Baron/Getty Images)

Mendy’s current deal in Madrid runs out next year and the player has been informed that a decision over his future at the club will be taken shortly.

On track with Davies

The Spanish outlet also reveal that the Canadian speedster rejected an offer from Bayern Munich in recent hours and that his departure from the Bavarian capital is not ruled out.

Bayern Munich demand a sum of €50 million for the dynamic full-back. Real Madrid, however, have set a spending limit of €30 million for the youngster and will not exceed that sum in any scenario.

Vincent Kompany’s men thus have a critical decision to make, for allowing Davies to run down the final year on his deal may well back-fire as did the case of Kylian Mbappe with PSG.

Real Madrid, as it stands, appear to be in the driver’s seat.

Continue Reading