Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Ancelotti talks Modric, Kroos, Guler, Ceballos, referee after Real Madrid 1-0 Sevilla

Published

on

Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images

Real Madrid left it late to clinch a 1-0 victory over Sevilla last night at the Santiago Bernabeu, courtesy of a spectacular strike from substitute Luka Modric.

The victory means that the Merengues continue to hold an eight-point advantage over second-placed Barcelona, with only 12 matches left to be played in the season.

It was far from an easy win for Carlo Ancelotti’s men and required a moment of magic from Modric, who has barely played in recent weeks.

Talking about the Croatian international’s impact after coming on, the Real Madrid boss said: “We celebrated the goal with Luka because he deserved it and he scored a great goal that earned us another three points. He’s scored and shown that it’s very difficult to leave him on the bench.

“Not just because of today’s goal but because of the way he trains every day, he’s an example for the rest of the squad.”

On the veteran midfielder’s future, he added: “What he decides to do in the future is in his own hands and we just have to wait for his decision. I understand what he may think when he’s not playing. Everyone thinks it’s the end of his career, but he isn’t showing it.

“He doesn’t look like a 39-year-old player. The only objective fact is his age. Out of the respect I have for him, I can’t give him advice. He’s very intelligent, serious and professional. He knows what he has to do. The quality of the minutes is more important than the quantity.”

Ancelotti then added that the situation with Nacho and Toni Kroos was the same as that of Modric, saying: “Modric, Kroos and Nacho are in the same situation at the end of the season. There’s time to sort it out over the next few months.”

Real Madrid had taken a lead early in the game through Lucas Vazquez, but the goal was chalked off due to an alleged foul in the buildup by Nacho. Giving his take on the decision, Ancelotti said:

“It’s difficult to get used to these new rules. VAR was born to correct obvious mistakes. Nacho may have touched his foot, but he also touched the ball. The referee’s assessment on the pitch had been correct, but he was alerted by the VAR.

“It’s a general problem since VAR has been in place. I told him that VAR didn’t have to get involved because it wasn’t clear and obvious”.

On what he thought of Diaz De Mera’s refereeing as a whole, he added: “We complained a bit in the first half because the game was affected on an emotional level by the disallowed goal. The second half was more controlled and calm.”

During the second period, with the game still at 0-0, Ancelotti was set to bring in Arda Guler, but changed things up as Modric scored the goal. As such, Guler was asked to sit back on the bench with Dani Ceballos coming on instead.

Explaining the decision, Ancelotti said: “I had a thought before the goal and I changed my mind after the goal and I preferred to bring on a more defensive player such as Ceballos. I think he understands it very well and if he doesn’t , that’s fine.”

Source: Real Madrid website

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Abdurrauf Abdussalam

    February 28, 2024 at 7:46 am

    Now that you changed your mind about Arda Guler, what spectacular performance did Cebalous brought to the remaining minutes of play? One can clearly make out that you don’t want to play the young lad. A player younger than him is explicitly doing very well elsewhere. Ancelloti, please & please don’t kill the morale of this young lad. It doesn’t matter what you consider to be the risk. He’s aware of what brought him into the team. I foresee something similar might as well happen to Endrick the young striker that’s on his way sometimes in July. We generally appreciate your efforts & foresight.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid convinced with 21-year-old loanee’s performances, will count on him next season

Published

on

Photo via Getty Images

Real Madrid are eager to enhance their options in central defense after deciding to not sign any defenders in the recent January transfer window.

Several players are on the club’s radar, with Lille’s promising center-back Leny Yoro most notably high on the club’s wishlist.

However, the Merengues are not turning a blind eye to their homegrown academy gems, as Rafa Marin is making a strong case for himself to join the first team dynamics next summer.

Rafa Marin strengthens his case

The 21-year-old is presently on loan at Alaves and is showcasing solid performances in the heart of defense, with Real Madrid reported to count on him next season.

Now, AS have reported that the reason for the club’s trust in Marin is his upsurge in performances at Alaves. And if Nacho Fernandez leaves, Marin will serve as the fourth central defender in the squad.

A testament to his worth to Alaves is the fact that Marin has not been benched since mid-November, demonstrating his importance in coach Luis Garcia Plaza’s defense.

With 2,282 total minutes played, he ranks as the fourth-highest on the team with the most minutes.

Against Atletico Madrid recently, Rafa Marin enjoyed a stellar outing. In addition to making 15 recoveries and 9 interceptions, he took part in 24 defensive actions. Along with winning two ground and four air duels, he only committed one foul.

A stellar performance vs Atletico. (Photo by CESAR MANSO/AFP via Getty Images)

An important summer for Marin

Not only is Rafa Marín returning to Real Madrid, but he is also going to represent Spain in the Olympics in Paris.

Marin was included in five of the six matches during the Euro Under-21 qualifiers because coach Santi Denia of Spain’s under-21 team greatly values his presence and height (1.91 meters).

Marin has a bright future ahead of him if all goes according to plan. His season with Alaves is sure to serve as a stepping stone for his integration into the Real Madrid first team.

Continue Reading