The story of Real Madrid and Carlo Ancelotti has really revolved around two competitions in recent weeks – the Copa del Rey and the UEFA Champions League.
Los Blancos tasted glory in the Spanish Cup when they downed Osasuna in a hard-fought finale last Saturday. They were crowned the champions on the night but did not have much time to celebrate considering the tight schedule.
Last night, the men in white played hosts to Manchester City in the first leg of the semifinal of the UCL. The high-voltage fixture ended 1-1, and there is everything to play for when the two teams meet next week in the second and deciding leg of the tie.
According to reports from AS (h/t Madrid Xtra), Ancelotti has all his attention focused on the trip to England. The manager does not have any interest in prioritising the weekend’s game against Getafe in La Liga and is expected to rotate almost the entire XI on Sunday.
Considering that the team which started against Manchester City was the Merengues‘ strongest XI, they are expected to start a relatively fringe-player-centered lineup in the upcoming La Liga clash.
Players like Eden Hazard, Jesus Vallejo and Mariano Diaz, who have played few minutes all season, are expected to be the protagonists.
Considering the situation in La Liga, Ancelotti’s decision is in the team’s best interest. Barcelona find themselves just three points away from mathematically sealing the title and could be named champions when they take on Espanyol at the weekend. That said, spending any resources on the league for Real Madrid would be a futile move.
One can thus expect rotations right from the goalkeeper on the night. Andriy Lunin could start in between the sticks with the likes of Vallejo, Nacho Fernandez, and Alvaro Odriozola starting in the four-man defensive line. Militao could be the fourth member in defence considering that he did not play a part last night.
As such, Aurelien Tchouameni could start in midfield. Mariano, Marco Asensio, and Hazard could feature in midfield, while there may also be an opportunity for youngsters like Sergio Arribas and Nico Paz.
Real Madrid may look to sell 24-year-old star if top target arrives in the summer – report
Real Madrid are leaving no stone unturned in their bid to assemble an even stronger squad for the upcoming campaign.
Kylian Mbappe and Alphonso Davies are the club’s top targets in that regard, for the two new signings will be regular starters and bonafide difference makers on the field for Los Blancos.
The latter, in particular, arrives to reinforce a position where none of Carlo Ancelotti’s current options are convincing. Fran Garcia and Ferland Mendy have both had their hiccups at the left-back position for Real Madrid, leaving the position open for Davies to take over.
A potential departure
As revealed by MARCA, Davies’ arrival next season will jeopardise Garcia’s importance in the team for the Canadian will be the manager’s first choice by a mile.
Moreover, Ancelotti is said to be in favour of renewing Mendy, implying that Garcia will practically be his third choice.
Come summer, Garcia could thus be sold if the club receive an offer that they can make money off. Considering that they shelled out €5 million last summer for his incorporation, any offer north of that mark could do the job.
In 18 appearances and 11 starts in La Liga this season, the 24-year-old has provided four assists for Los Blancos. Interestingly, he has started just one of Real Madrid’s last six games across all competitions.
As revealed earlier this week, Real Madrid have reached a verbal agreement with Alphonso Davies. An agreement with Bayern Munich over a transfer fee could be a difficult proposition, however.
As such, it is unclear if Los Blancos will make the move for Davies this summer at a subsidised fee or wait until next year when the player will be a free agent.
Garcia’s future, needless to say, depends on their plan of action on the Davies front.