Real Madrid were held to a 1-1 draw by a lowly Girona side on Sunday at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Los Blancos had taken the lead through Vinicius Jr’s strike in the second half but saw a penalty awarded against them after Marco Asensio was adjudged to have handled the ball inside the box, which Cristhian Stuani tucked away to level things up.
But the decision to award the penalty has not gone down too well in the Madrid camp, considering that the ball appeared to hit Asensio’s chest before ricocheting into his left arm.
Speaking to the press after the match, Ancelotti expressed his displeasure at the refereeing, given that Real Madrid also had a goal from Rodrygo Goes chalked off.
“I don’t like to talk about this, but today I am going to do it. The first situation is quite clear, it is not a penalty because he does not touch the ball with his hand. I have spoken with Asensio and he tells me that he has hit him in the chest,” he said (h/t MARCA).
“It is true that the left hand is in a bit of a strange position. If he touches the ball with his hand there could be a doubt, but he simply does not give the ball with his hand. They have made it up. The second situation is a bit more debatable, The rule is clear, there was no clear control, but there you can give your opinion. I’m not going to discuss this.”
“What surprises me is the penalty, which came at an important moment in the game, it was on track, although it cost us a lot. After this situation, we have two points less in the table.”
On whether Real Madrid failed to win because of the refereeing decisions, he added: “I don’t know if we didn’t win because of that. This episode has affected the game. We were able to play better, but at this point in the season, it’s difficult to have a very high level of play.”
On the status of the squad, he said: “I can say that the squad is strong, but words are gone with the wind. We have to show it on the pitch. We have two home games and the trip to Rayo, which is complicated. We’re going to react well”.
Real Madrid the most likely destination for Kylian Mbappe with Liverpool not pushing for transfer
Journalist Florian Plettenberg has affirmed that despite Liverpool’s continued interest, Real Madrid remain the most realistic destination for Kylian Mbappe either for next year or the year after that.
As far as PSG are concerned, the Ligue 1 champions are totally relaxed over the drama as they are now financially secure for his possible departure. Nonetheless, Liverpool are not at all pushing for the player which leaves Real Madrid as the only team as suitors.
Mbappe has declined an extension offer from PSG, as his current deal is set to expire in 2024 and the 24-year-old forward seems poised to determine his future destination sooner rather than later.
As for Real Madrid, while they have denied holding any talks with the 2018 FIFA World Cup winner, the interest in him has always been there as he remains one of the club’s main targets for 2024.
One last attempt for Mbappe?
Real Madrid have been chasing Mbappe since 2021 and while there have been instances when he almost joined, the move has always failed to materialise for some reason.
Last year, he ended up signing a new contract and this year, as he looked certain to leave PSG, a sudden change of heart saw him stay put. Now, there are going to be some repercussions of his continued ignorance.
These repercussions Mbappe will experience if rejects Madrid once again as it is said that the team from the Spanish capital is fed up with playing this game and if the move fails next summer, the door for Mbappe will be closed forever.
On the contrary, Plettenberg reports that it is not a matter of if for Mbappe, but a matter of when.
So even if they somehow miss out on his acquisition this summer, they will be able to sign him in 2025 as they are currently the only team running for his signature.