Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Ancelotti wants Real Madrid stars to consider El Clasico against Barcelona as a ‘final’

Published

on

Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images

Real Madrid are gearing up for one of their most important matches of the season as they play hosts to FC Barcelona, in the revered El Clasico.

The Whites are heading into this game level on points with their arch-rivals, meaning a win this weekend could see them overtake the Catalans at the top of the table.

Barça are coming into this game on the back of a draw with Inter Milan that more or less confirms their elimination from the UEFA Champions League group stages, for the second consecutive season.

In light of their poor result, Real Madrid head coach Carlo Ancelotti is hoping his team can hurt Barcelona even more by securing win in this season’s first El Clasico.

According to Tomas Roncero on El Chiringuito, talking to the players before yesterday’s training session, Ancelotti said: “Barça are dead right now and the only way they can revive is by beating us on Sunday. We cannot let them win again. This is a final.”

Following a run of five successive defeats from 2020 to 2022, Barcelona have fared well against Real Madrid under the leadership of Xavi Hernandez.

Earlier this year, Barça had beaten Los Blancos 4-0 in La Liga. The Catalans continued their momentum by beating their arch-rivals in a pre-season friendly in the US, earlier this summer. They won the game 1-0, with new signing Raphinha scoring the winner.

However, a lot has happened since and with Barcelona undergoing a crisis, both from a sporting and a financial perspective, they are facing an uphill task of getting back to winning ways.

Real Madrid will hope to make good use of their opponent’s lack of momentum and seal all three points this weekend.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid target will continue in the Bundesliga for next season, confirms club CEO

Published

on

Photo by Lars Baron/Getty Images

Florian Wirtz has enjoyed a spectacular 2023/24 season and he has played an integral role in Bayer Leverkusen being crowned the Bundesliga champions this past weekend.

The 20-year-old has plundered 17 goals and 18 assists from 41 matches in all competitions, emerging as one of the best young players in Europe, with his game reaching a new level under Xabi Alonso.

Naturally, Real Madrid have taken note of Wirtz and his development and have set their sights on him as a target for the future.

Real Madrid are not the only club interested in the German international, though, with other clubs like Manchester City and Liverpool also keen.

Wirtz to continue at Bayer Leverkusen for now

Any move for Wirtz though will not be taking place in the summer this year, though, with Bayer Leverkusen CEO Fernando Carro confirming as much in a recent interview.

“Florian Wirtz will stay with us next season. The plan is clear, together with his father,” Carro said in an interview with AS, as quoted by Fabrizio Romano.

Florian Wirtz is a man in demand. (Photo by INA FASSBENDER/AFP via Getty Images)

“There’s interest from many clubs, we can’t plan too long in football… but he’s staying,” he added.

Works in Real Madrid’s favour

Wirtz staying at Bayer Leverkusen for another season would work well into Real Madrid’s transfer plans.

After all, the Merengues have other priorities like Kylian Mbappe, Alphonso Davies, and Leny Yoro for the upcoming summer.

Wirtz is on the Spanish capital club’s agenda, but for the future, and him staying in the Bundesliga at least for another year gives Los Blancos a chance to go after him in 2025.

Continue Reading