Nico Paz has been a pleasant surprise during Real Madrid’s preseason tour, and has quickly shown his immense technical quality.
And according to Spanish journalist Jorge Picon, the Argentine 18-year-old could soon see himself involved in the Galacticos first team dynamics after catching coach Carlo Ancelotti’s eye.
Picon says that initially, there were no plans to include him for the USA tour, an unfortunate injury to Dani Ceballos provided an opportunity for Nico to join the team, and he has made the most of it.
He has also impressed fellow teammates, showcasing his talent in the matches against AC Milan and Manchester United, earning high praise.
But it is during training that he has truly shined, reportedly displaying excellent technique and remarkable confidence.
He has supposedly taken on a central role in the team, a responsibility usually reserved for Toni Kroos and Luka Modric and he has also seemingly shown his prowess from executing set pieces.
Quality beyond his age
While primarily a right winger, when also shines in midfield where his two-footedness makes him an excellent asset.
Nico Paz exudes maturity beyond his years and doesn’t look like a youth player, and it doesn’t come as much of a surprise given his terrific displays in the UEFA Youth League, which also turned quite a few heads.
Next year, Nico will continue his growth with the Castilla under Raúl, with whom Paz reportedly shares a great relationship.
Ancelotti will doubtless monitor his progress at Castilla, but he may well be given his first team debut in the upcoming season.
If he continues his current trajectory, he could well become one of the cornerstones of the club’s midfield in the years to come, adding even more quality to an already stacked lineup.
Real Madrid rising star suffered against Atletico due to veteran forward’s absence, says Simeone
Real Madrid’s 3-1 defeat to Atletico Madrid was not the first time were in trouble this season. In fact, the Merengues have gone behind early in almost every league game so far.
However, the difference on Sunday night was that they never really mounted a comeback. More importantly, Jude Bellingham did not come good, for the first time.
Simeone unravels the mystery
A jubilant Diego Simeone spoke to the media after his side downed Real Madrid by three goals to one and spoke about a plethora of topics.
Interestingly, he commented specifically on why Bellingham did not have an impact at Civitas Metropolitano, citing the absence of Joselu as a key factor.
“No, the spaces were reduced and I think that Joselu’s lack of presence left him with fewer chances to get there, when he takes advantage of Joselu’s aerial play. We controlled him better, he’s extraordinary,” he said, as quoted by AS.
He even called out the refereeing on the night and insisted that the Real Madrid star-boy should have seen red for his late tackle on Angel Correa, saying:
“It looked like a sending-off to me live, it was a hard leg up, with Angelito hitting the ball.”
Ironically, he defended his defender Jose Maria Gimenez for an equally threatening tackle on the night.
“A bad foul, it’s a yellow card because it goes sideways. Bellingham goes from the front and I think it’s a bit more,” he stated paradoxically.
No time to lament
The game at Civitas Metropolitano may not have gone Real Madrid’s way. Yet, it is good for the Merengues to taste defeat early and see the gaping holes in their dynamic.
Carlo Ancelotti admitted in his press conference that he bore the lion’s share of the fault for Sunday’s loss and that he would have done things differently if given the chance.
“Maybe I could have done it better. It’s pretty clear. When the team doesn’t do what it has to do, it’s my responsibility,” he stated.
Nevertheless, Los Blancos have a hectic schedule ahead with two games in the next five days and a UCL fixture against Napoli next week. With Vinicius Jr back, one hopes they find their mojo once again.