Atletico Madrid News
Atletico Madrid midfielder ruled out of tomorrow’s derby versus Real Madrid
With just a little over 24 hours left before Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid lock horns in La Liga, Diario AS is reporting that the Rojiblancos will be without midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia for the contest.
The contest is a crucial one for Atletico Madrid in the race for the top four as they are already ten points behind second-placed Real Madrid and three below Real Sociedad in third.
Diego Simeone’s side have put together a strong run of results of late, but it will be put to test on Saturday against the reigning champions, who have won each of their last five matches in all competitions.
And, Los Rojiblancos will have to try and stop that run without midfielder Kondogbia, as per the report.
The former Inter Milan and Valencia ace did not participate in training earlier today due to some muscular discomfort. And while the issue is said to be not very serious, he does not have sufficient time to recover in time for the derby at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Kondogbia’s absence is unlikely to come as a major blow for Atleti as Simeone has not been relying on him as much in recent times. Indeed, the 30-year-old did not play a single minute in the Colchoneros’ last three league matches.
But with Rodrigo De Paul also missing in action, Kondogbia could have come in handy for Simeone and Atletico Madrid with his physical attributes and work rate.
Apart from De Paul and Kondogbia, Atleti will also be without former Real Madrid left-back Sergio Reguilon for the derby. However, Alvaro Morata and Memphis Depay trained normally and will be available for the contest at the Bernabeu tomorrow evening.
Atletico Madrid News
Atletico Madrid competing with Barcelona, Liverpool for 26-year-old midfielder
Sofyan Amrabat is a player in demand, with the midfielder reportedly a top target for various clubs during the January transfer window, as confirmed by his brother.
However, Atletico Madrid are also keeping tabs on the Moroccan international, with the club said to be interested in bringing him to Wanda Metropolitano.
According to Foot Mercato, Amrabat is keen on moving to La Liga, and Atletico Madrid are one of the clubs that he admires. The midfielder had previously praised Atleti boss Diego Simeone, further fueling speculation of a potential move to the Spanish capital.
Atletico Madrid’s interest in Amrabat comes in the midst of uncertainty over the future of Axel Witsel.
The Fiorentina star could be a possible replacement for the Belgian midfielder, whose contract at the club expires at the end of the season, with his father hinting at a possible exit.
However, Atleti would face competition from Barcelona in the pursuit of Amrabat, who appears to be prioritising a move to Camp Nou. The Moroccan international could potentially become an excellent alternative for Barça’s top target, Martin Zubimendi.
However, Fiorentina is unlikely to let the midfielder go cheaply, and Barcelona would have to sort out their economic situation to afford him.
That is where Atletico Madrid might look to get ahead of the Catalans. Although the Spanish giants are also struggling with finances, they may still be able to swoop in and secure the services of the Fiorentina star come the end of the season.
It is too early to deduce anything just yet. A lot will be uncovered as we enter the final phase of the season. Amrabat himself will be keen on making a definitive decision on his future, as he looks to take the next step in his career.