Atletico Madrid News
Atletico Madrid players against the idea of giving Real Madrid the guard of honour
Atletico Madrid players are said to be against the idea of giving Real Madrid a guard of honour when the latter visit Wanda Metropolitano Stadium on Sunday for matchday 35.
With the 35th La Liga title already in pocket, Real Madrid make a trip across town with absolutely nothing to lose. For Atletico, however, this match will more or less decide whether or not they will finish within the Champions League spots this season.
With 61 points after 34 matches, Diego Simeone’s men sit just four points above fifth-placed Real Betis who have a game in hand. This means a defeat on Sunday will give Betis a perfect opportunity to cut down the deficit.
As for Real, since their title of being the champions was decided in the previous matchweek, Atletico, as it’s been done in football, are supposed to give them the guard of honour since they are the next opponent.
This is something that is not really a written rule but is done out of respect.
However, it is no secret that there is no love lost between the two. Hence, presenting a guard of honour would essentially mean the clash of two gigantic egos. Atletico have several reasons not to follow the tradition, and even the players are personally against the idea.
“Corridor [guard of honour] to Madrid? We congratulate them, but we respect our fans a lot,” defender Josema Gimenez was quoted as saying by MARCA.
Furthermore, the club’s vice-captain, Jan Oblak, delivered similar thoughts, but he did mention that while he is personally against it, the decision rests at hands of the club.
“As captain, I am one of those who does not like to give or receive the guard of honour, but the club will decide and we will do what is necessary,” said the keeper.
The players will follow what the club will decide, although those sitting in the offices are well aware of the fact that making such a gesture will certain did not bid well with the fans. All this because the Champions League spot will be essentially at stake on Sunday.
On the other hand, Atletico certain remember how Real behaved in 2018 when it was their chance to honour Barcelona a game after the latter had won the league.
Speaking about it, Real’s then manager, Zinedine Zidane, clearly denied doing anything such.
“I don’t understand the hallway and then it’s not going to be done,” he said.
Atletico Madrid News
Atletico Madrid, Chelsea contact PSG midfielder’s agent with player set to leave
Atletico Madrid and Chelsea are among the clubs that have made contact with the agent of PSG midfielder Leandro Paredes, who is set to leave this summer.
This claim comes from journalist Martin Arevalo on ESPN, who states that apart from Atletico and Chelsea, an unnamed third club have also established contact with the Argentine international’s representative.
Paredes has been on PSG’s books since January 2019, when he arrived from Zenit St. Petersburg. For a large part of his time at the French capital outfit, the midfielder had been a regular starter in the side.
However, last summer saw Paredes get shipped out on loan to Juventus. He has played 33 times for the Bianconeri this season with a return of one goal and assist apiece.
The Serie A heavyweights, who were recently hit with a 10-point deduction, have the option to purchase him permanently. But, as per the report, his relationship with manager Massimiliano Allegri is not good and a return to PSG is on the cards.
And considering that he is not in the plans back at Parc des Princes either, a permanent departure away seems set in stone for Paredes.
As such, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, and an unnamed club have shown interest in acquiring his services by making contact with the 28-year-old World Cup winner’s agent.
With Koke entering the final phase of his career and Geoffrey Kondogbia expected to leave at the end of the season, the Rojiblancos could do with reinforcements in the centre of the park.
Paredes, who has plenty of experience at the highest level and is known for his aggressive mentality, can be a good fit into Diego Simeone’s setup at the Civitas Metropolitano.
But, with Chelsea also in the picture, things could get tricky for the Colchoneros. After all, Atleti are operating on tight finances and are looking for bargain and free transfer signings in the market with the likes of Marcus Thuram, Jordi Alba, and Raphael Guerreiro emerging as targets.