Atletico Madrid News
Atletico Madrid president addresses future of Arsenal target after Barcelona loss: “I don’t know”
Atletico Madrid’s good start after the World Cup break came to a halt last night as they fell to a 1-0 defeat to FC Barcelona at the Civitas Metropolitano.
While Diego Simeone’s men put up a fight against the league leaders, they were unable to break the opponents’ rearguard and came out on the losing side.
One player who disappointed for Los Rojiblancos on Sunday at home was Joao Felix. The 23-year-old is currently facing an uncertain future at the club, having sought a departure after a falling out with manager Simeone.
The Portuguese international had looked good in their previous La Liga contest versus Elche and was handed a start by Simeone against Barcelona. However, he failed to deliver on the night and put in a meek display as his team lost out.
And, talking about the future of the wantaway forward after the game, Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo told DAZN (h/t Fabrizio Romano):
“João Félix future? I always say the players play in the club that they want… I don’t know where João wants to play. I think he’s now feeling so good here at Atléti. It depends on João and on the situation.”
Felix has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League. Manchester United were interested but have moved on to other targets as they were unwilling to meet Atletico Madrid’s financial demands for a loan move.
Arsenal are another club keen on signing the 23-year-old and are reportedly stepping up their pursuit of the forward. However, a move would still depend on whether Atleti are willing to lower their €21 million total package demands to loan out Felix.
Even though there are still three weeks left in the January transfer window, Felix, as well as Simeone & co. will be hoping to seek a quick resolution on the matter of the former’s future.
Atletico Madrid News
Atletico Madrid competing with Barcelona, Liverpool for 26-year-old midfielder
Sofyan Amrabat is a player in demand, with the midfielder reportedly a top target for various clubs during the January transfer window, as confirmed by his brother.
However, Atletico Madrid are also keeping tabs on the Moroccan international, with the club said to be interested in bringing him to Wanda Metropolitano.
According to Foot Mercato, Amrabat is keen on moving to La Liga, and Atletico Madrid are one of the clubs that he admires. The midfielder had previously praised Atleti boss Diego Simeone, further fueling speculation of a potential move to the Spanish capital.
Atletico Madrid’s interest in Amrabat comes in the midst of uncertainty over the future of Axel Witsel.
The Fiorentina star could be a possible replacement for the Belgian midfielder, whose contract at the club expires at the end of the season, with his father hinting at a possible exit.
However, Atleti would face competition from Barcelona in the pursuit of Amrabat, who appears to be prioritising a move to Camp Nou. The Moroccan international could potentially become an excellent alternative for Barça’s top target, Martin Zubimendi.
However, Fiorentina is unlikely to let the midfielder go cheaply, and Barcelona would have to sort out their economic situation to afford him.
That is where Atletico Madrid might look to get ahead of the Catalans. Although the Spanish giants are also struggling with finances, they may still be able to swoop in and secure the services of the Fiorentina star come the end of the season.
It is too early to deduce anything just yet. A lot will be uncovered as we enter the final phase of the season. Amrabat himself will be keen on making a definitive decision on his future, as he looks to take the next step in his career.