Connect with us

Atletico Madrid News

Atletico Madrid turn down the chance to sign PSG winger due to two reasons

Published

on

Photo by ANNE-CHRISTINE POUJOULAT/AFP via Getty Images

All of a sudden, Atletico Madrid find themselves in the hunt for a quality winger heading into next season. The confirmed exit of Luis Suarez and the rumoured departure of Angel Correa leaves Diego Simeone with few options in the final third.

The club are looking for a player who can fit into Los Rojiblancos’ style of play with ease, but prefer a young player over a veteran. According to reports from MARCA, Atletico Madrid were offered the signing of Angel Di Maria but rejected the proposal.

The club’s sporting director Andrea Berta was said to be unconvinced of the move mainly because of the player’s age and salary. Moreover, the signing of Samuel Lino also was a big factor in rejecting the Argentine star.

Di Maria made 26 Ligue 1 appearances for Paris Saint-Germain in the recently concluded season, scoring five goals and providing seven assists in the process. He averaged 2.1 key passes per game and created a whopping 14 big chances.

His contract in Paris ends in June, and the player has no intention of renewing his deal. Earlier this week, PSG confirmed that their star winger would be leaving as a free agent come the summer transfer window.

At 34 years of age, one would assume that the Argentine’s best years are past him. In addition to Atletico Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus were offered his services too in recent weeks. However, the Catalans turned down the offer, while the Italians are still said to be having second thoughts.

Samuel Lino is set to arrive at the Wanda Metropolitano in June after completing his six-month loan spell at Gil Vincente. While he is a relatively new name in the European top flight, the manager will back the player to take up responsibility on the wing come next season.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Atletico Madrid News

Official: Atletico Madrid squad list to face Getafe

Published

on

Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images

Atletico Madrid will be aiming to close the gap to third-placed Real Sociedad in the La Liga standings when they lock horns with Getafe on Saturday evening.

After a harrowing defeat to Real Madrid in the Copa del Rey quarter-finals, Los Rojiblancos returned to winning ways, securing a 1-0 victory over CA Osasuna last weekend.

And Diego Simeone & co. will be aiming to build on that result and cut down the gap to third-placed Sociedad, who are five points clear at this point.

Ahead of the game against Getafe, Simeone has released the Atletico Madrid squad list.

And deadline day signing Matt Doherty makes the cut. The Irish right-back joined from Tottenham Hotspur and could make his debut for the Colchoneros on Saturday evening against the Azulones.

Meanwhile, Stefan Savic is back in the squad after serving out his two-match ban for his sending-off in the game against Barcelona. Another boost for Atletico Madrid sees Marcos Llorente make a comeback after recovering from his injury.

Antoine Griezmann, Alvaro Morata, Angel Correa and January signing Memphis Depay make up the attacking options for Atletico Madrid, along with Yannick Carrasco.

Continue Reading