Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Barcelona fan favourite reveals he would have joined Real Madrid after 2018 trials

Published

on

Photo by David Ramos/Getty Images

Speaking in an interview with ICON magazine (h/t Mundo Deportivo), Barcelona midfield mainstay Pedri has revealed that he would have signed for Real Madrid if the club had accepted him after undergoing trials.

Before signing for Barcelona from Las Palmas in 2019, Pedri had a trial at Real Madrid to join the club’s Cadete A team. The trials were held in February 2018 but after that, Los Blancos decided against not signing the 19-year-old.

A year later, Pedri signed for Barça and spent the 2019/20 season on loan at Las Palmas before ending up at Camp Nou in 2020.

Pedri has always maintained that Barcelona are his dream club and that he idolised Andres Iniesta from a very young age. But the youngster revealed in the interview that he would have signed for Real Madrid if the club had accepted him after the trials.

“I think so. My ambition was make my way as a professional footballer and it would have been very difficult to refuse the offer of one of the greats in the history of this sport,” Pedri said.

However, there was no offer forthcoming from Los Blancos, and Pedri admits that it worked out well for him as he ended up at his ‘dream club’.

“That train passed and two years later I ended up signing for the team of my dreams. I’ve always said it, I’ve been a Barça fan since I was a little boy.”

Since joining Barcelona, Pedri has developed into one of the best young midfielders in Europe and is a permanent fixture in the starting XI for club and country.

While there may be some regrets in the Real Madrid camp on passing up the chance to sign him, the Merengues are building their own top midfield unit with youngsters like Federico Valverde, Eduardo Camavinga and Aurelien Tchouameni, to which they also plan to add Jude Bellingham in 2023.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid intend to offer a one-year extension to veteran defender

Published

on

Photo by ANDER GILLENEA/AFP via Getty Images

With the 2023/24 season entering the final phase, planning for the summer window is already underway. And Real Madrid have several important decisions to make, not only regarding signings but also some of their current players.

A number of players have their contracts expiring at the end of the season and their futures will need to be resolved in the weeks to come.

While Luka Modric looks set to depart, Toni Kroos is expected to sign a renewal and Nacho Fernandez could also continue at the club. That leaves Lucas Vazquez, who also sees his contract run down on June 30, 2024.

Real Madrid intend to renew Vazquez

Now, MARCA is reporting that Real Madrid intend to offer Lucas Vazquez a one-year extension that will keep him at the club until 2025.

The La Fabrica product has done a brilliant job deputising for Dani Carvajal as the second-choice right-back and the Merengues are happy with what he has offered.

As such, the plan is now to offer Vazquez a new contract for an additional year which would prolong his stay at the Santiago Bernabeu until 2025.

So far this term, the Spaniard has featured in 26 matches across all competitions, even chipping in with a goal and four assists.

Vazquez might not be the biggest name on the roster, but he is seen as a valuable member of the dressing room, someone who is a model professional and acts as a conduit between the seniors and the younger members.

Vazquez enjoys the full trust of manager Carlo Ancelotti and the club, and as such, it will not come as a surprise to see him sign a new deal.

Continue Reading