Real Madrid began the summer transfer window in a desperate search for a new No. 9. The club wished to sign an established name to replace Karim Benzema and contacted several players over a move.
One of the Merengues’ top options was Harry Kane. The English superstar was open to a move to Real Madrid, having entered the final year of his contract at Tottenham.
Los Blancos subsequently distanced themselves from all targets for the number nine position after learning of Kylian Mbappe’s availability. The focus shifted onto the Frenchman, although nothing concrete has come of it yet.
According to reports from Fabrizio Romano, Kane is now on his way to completing a move to Bayern Munich.
The German side have reached an agreement in principle with Tottenham Hotspur over the striker’s transfer and will pay over €100 million for his services.
The final decision now lies in Kane’s hands. If the player accepts the proposal from Germany, his move will be completed.
Carlo Ancelotti’s request
Florentino Perez promised Ancelotti solid reinforcements to the forward line ahead of the summer transfer window. The Italian tactician dreamt of Kane’s arrival and saw him as a perfect fit for his plans.
Reports as early as last week revealed that the administration shot down Ancelotti’s demand for a new striker. They see a large investment in a forward to be futile considering Mbappe’s imminent arrival.
A top-notch striker who has been scoring for fun for several years now, Kane would have been an ideal replacement for Benzema. But Real Madrid opted against going after him despite Ancelotti’s request and will now have to see him join Bayern while they still wait for Mbappe.
All eyes on Mbappe
Real Madrid’s pre-season campaign reflected their need for a lethal finisher. Los Blancos came up short against both Juventus and Barcelona purely because of their inability to tuck away chances.
Mbappe would be an ideal reinforcement on that front. However, not much is known about his situation as the player has remained silent through the summer.
If the Frenchman arrives this month, Real Madrid will be close to unstoppable. Else, Ancelotti will have a difficult time finding sources for goals next season.
Real Madrid rising star suffered against Atletico due to veteran forward’s absence, says Simeone
Real Madrid’s 3-1 defeat to Atletico Madrid was not the first time were in trouble this season. In fact, the Merengues have gone behind early in almost every league game so far.
However, the difference on Sunday night was that they never really mounted a comeback. More importantly, Jude Bellingham did not come good, for the first time.
Simeone unravels the mystery
A jubilant Diego Simeone spoke to the media after his side downed Real Madrid by three goals to one and spoke about a plethora of topics.
Interestingly, he commented specifically on why Bellingham did not have an impact at Civitas Metropolitano, citing the absence of Joselu as a key factor.
“No, the spaces were reduced and I think that Joselu’s lack of presence left him with fewer chances to get there, when he takes advantage of Joselu’s aerial play. We controlled him better, he’s extraordinary,” he said, as quoted by AS.
He even called out the refereeing on the night and insisted that the Real Madrid star-boy should have seen red for his late tackle on Angel Correa, saying:
“It looked like a sending-off to me live, it was a hard leg up, with Angelito hitting the ball.”
Ironically, he defended his defender Jose Maria Gimenez for an equally threatening tackle on the night.
“A bad foul, it’s a yellow card because it goes sideways. Bellingham goes from the front and I think it’s a bit more,” he stated paradoxically.
No time to lament
The game at Civitas Metropolitano may not have gone Real Madrid’s way. Yet, it is good for the Merengues to taste defeat early and see the gaping holes in their dynamic.
Carlo Ancelotti admitted in his press conference that he bore the lion’s share of the fault for Sunday’s loss and that he would have done things differently if given the chance.
“Maybe I could have done it better. It’s pretty clear. When the team doesn’t do what it has to do, it’s my responsibility,” he stated.
Nevertheless, Los Blancos have a hectic schedule ahead with two games in the next five days and a UCL fixture against Napoli next week. With Vinicius Jr back, one hopes they find their mojo once again.