Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Benzema gets emotional at farewell event: “Real Madrid will always be my family”

Published

on

Photo by Florencia Tan Jun/Getty Images

This past weekend, it was confirmed that Real Madrid captain and club legend Karim Benzema will leave the club imminently.

The 35-year-old superstar striker’s contract was expiring on June 30, but a renewal until 2024 was believed to have been in place after he won the Ballon d’Or last year.

However, a lucrative offer from Saudi Arabia was too tempting for the French forward, who decided to part ways with Real Madrid in exchange for an adventure in the Middle East.

Given his status at the club, Real Madrid held a special farewell ceremony for Benzema today, which was attended by several of his teammates, manager Carlo Ancelotti, president Florentino Perez and club legends such as Roberto Carlos.

During the event, Benzema addressed those present and spoke of his love for Real Madrid, stating that he is what he is today because of the club, while calling the Merengues the greatest team.

“Hello everyone. It’s difficult to talk now. I want to thank everyone. Thank you Presi for bringing me here. I’ll never forget. Real Madrid is the greatest. But now it’s time to leave,” he said.

“This is a sad day. I leave my club… I have always said I would have retired here but things do not always happen. I will always watch Real Madrid games and support the team.”

“I’m who I am because of this club, thank you very much,” Benzema added.

Further underlining his feelings for the club, the Frenchman stated that Real Madrid will always be his family.

“Real Madrid will always be my family. Many thanks to the president. I have been able to realize my dream. I will never forget Real Madrid because it is the best club in the world and in history,” he said.

Benzema signed off with these words: “As I said the first day, 1, 2, 3… Hala Madrid!”

Source: Real Madrid Twitter

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid 23-year-old striker close to finalising a move to Real Valladolid – report

Published

on

Photo by Aitor Alcalde/Getty Images

After two years on loan at Getafe, former Real Madrid striker Juanmi Latasa has returned to the Spanish capital.

His performances, after all, were not enough to coerce his foster club to push for a permanent transfer.

The 23-year-old striker made 32 appearances for Getafe last season, including 15 starts. However, he only had two goals to show for his regular participation and it is safe to label his time at the club as a disappointment.

Now back in Madrid, Latasa is unlikely to get a chance to make a mark at the club. All signs point to a departure in the coming days.

The overwhelming favorite

As revealed in a recent report by Jorge C Picon, several first-division teams in Spain have reported interest in the young striker. Real Valladolid however, are the overwhelming favourites.

The La Liga side are looking for a striker with a good physical presence, height, a strong aerial presence and a knack for goal.

Latasa (L) set to leave Real Madrid. (Photo by Fran Santiago/Getty Images)

Latasa ticks all the boxes they demand and negotiations between the two clubs are expected to progress in the coming days.

Latasa’s sale, at this point, is thus taken for granted. Leganes and Espanyol are some of the other clubs interested in his services.

No scope in Madrid

Carlo Ancelotti, over the years, has not carved out a reputation as one who trusts academy stars heavily. In his defence, however, he has always had superior options available.

Heading into next season, Los Blancos have a packed forward department including Kylian Mbape, Vinicius Jr, Rodrygo Goes and Endrick.

Considering that the well-established Joselu himself saw no scope at the club next season, it is safe to say that Latasa understands his situation.

From Real Madrid’s perspective, it remains to be seen if they maintain any leverage on his future.

Continue Reading