Real Madrid News
Benzema, Vazquez still not back in group training – report
While most of the players from Real Madrid away on international duties, the select few who have remained at the club trained with the Castilla squad at the Valdebebas training ground today.
However, as Mundo Deportivo reports club captain Karim Benzema and versatile star Lucas Vazquez did not train with the rest of the group and still continued their recovery in the indoor facilities.
Benzema picked up an injury in the UEFA Champions League outing against Celtic two weeks ago and has since missed three matches for Los Blancos, including the Madrid derby against Atletico this past weekend.
As for Vazquez, he got injured in the La Liga clash versus RCD Mallorca around ten days back and has not played since either.
While Benzema made a push to try and return for the derby, the French striker and the coaching staff ultimately decided not to rush things with his recovery considering that he is the only recognised senior striker on the club’s books at the moment.
Both Benzema and Vazquez are yet to fully recover from their ailments but are still expected to be available for Real Madrid’s next game against Osasuna on October 2.
In the absence of their club captain, Real Madrid have coped fairly well, with Rodrygo Goes stepping in and taking up the mantle of operating as the No. 9.
The Brazilian has formed a fine partnership with compatriot Vinicius Jr and Federico Valverde, and the trio was key to Real Madrid’s 2-1 win against Atletico, which ensured that they remained at the top of the La Liga standings.
Real Madrid News
U-turn? Benzema hints at Real Madrid stay during ceremony: “Reality is not the internet”
There has been a lot of talk around Karim Benzema’s situation over the course of the last week or so, with reports claiming that the Frenchman was on his way out of the Santiago Bernabeu.
With his contract expiring at the end of the season, it was reported that Benzema was joining Al Ittihad as part of an incredible deal worth nearly €200 million. The striker was also offered 100% of his image rights and advertising deals by the Saudi government.
Over the last day or so, it has been reported that the move is all but official at the moment, as Benzema has accepted the offer, and will soon inform Real Madrid about it.
Benzema was awarded the MARCA Leyenda awards for contribution to sports today, and speaking during it, he dropped a rather cryptic message about his future – one that says quite the opposite to what has been in the news recently.
“Speak to the fans? Speak about what? Why should I speak of the future if I’m in Madrid?”, Benzema said.
“It’s the internet speaking, and reality is not the internet,” he added.
This certainly falls away from the departure line for Benzema, who was reportedly already contemplating his life away from Madrid.
At first, though, he was hesitant about speaking about his future, saying, “Staying or leaving Real Madrid? At the moment, I’m here…we have a game on Saturday.”
He repeatedly talked about the fans, calling them the best in world football. He also said, “I know how much Real Madrid fans love me. I feel that when I’m on the pitch, I give my best for them, always.”
“I always say that we play with 11 on the pitch but also with a crucial factor, Real Madrid fans,” Benzema concluded.