It is the period of mid-season of managerial dismissals in the world of football. After Julian Nagelsmann’s sacking at Bayern Munich, it was Chelsea’s turn to take the bold decision and show Graham Potter the exit door earlier this week.
The firing is significant from Real Madrid’s point of view, considering that they take on the London-based side later this month in the quarterfinal of the UEFA Champions League.
With no permanent manager at the helm and a disappointing record domestically, it is safe to say that Chelsea are not in the best spot.
According to reports from Tom Ruddy of The Times, Chelsea hope to have a new manager firmly in place by the time they face Real Madrid. That virtually leaves them with less than ten days to narrow down and finalise the key appointment.
Chelsea’s qualification for next season’s Champions League is completely dependent on winning this year’s edition given their disastrous position in the Premier League table. It is for this reason that the aforementioned deadline has been set.
Julian Nagelsmann is said to be leading the race to take over at Stamford Bridge but is just one of the many names linked. Real Madrid target Mauricio Pochettino, Luis Enrique, Luciano Spaletti and Sporting CP’s Ruben Amorim are some of the other names being considered.
Until a permanent manager is named, Chelsea have handed the reins to Potter’s former assistant, Bruno Saltor, on an interim basis.
With their opponents in a state of jeopardy, Real Madrid should look to use it in their favour. Given the prize on the line and Carlo Ancelotti’s situation, one can be fairly sure that Los Blancos will come out all guns blazing at the Santiago Bernabeu next week.
Real Madrid take on Chelsea in the first leg of the quarterfinal at the Bernabeu on April 12, before travelling to Stamford Bridge for the second leg on April 18.
Real Madrid may look to sell 24-year-old star if top target arrives in the summer – report
Real Madrid are leaving no stone unturned in their bid to assemble an even stronger squad for the upcoming campaign.
Kylian Mbappe and Alphonso Davies are the club’s top targets in that regard, for the two new signings will be regular starters and bonafide difference makers on the field for Los Blancos.
The latter, in particular, arrives to reinforce a position where none of Carlo Ancelotti’s current options are convincing. Fran Garcia and Ferland Mendy have both had their hiccups at the left-back position for Real Madrid, leaving the position open for Davies to take over.
A potential departure
As revealed by MARCA, Davies’ arrival next season will jeopardise Garcia’s importance in the team for the Canadian will be the manager’s first choice by a mile.
Moreover, Ancelotti is said to be in favour of renewing Mendy, implying that Garcia will practically be his third choice.
Come summer, Garcia could thus be sold if the club receive an offer that they can make money off. Considering that they shelled out €5 million last summer for his incorporation, any offer north of that mark could do the job.
In 18 appearances and 11 starts in La Liga this season, the 24-year-old has provided four assists for Los Blancos. Interestingly, he has started just one of Real Madrid’s last six games across all competitions.
As revealed earlier this week, Real Madrid have reached a verbal agreement with Alphonso Davies. An agreement with Bayern Munich over a transfer fee could be a difficult proposition, however.
As such, it is unclear if Los Blancos will make the move for Davies this summer at a subsidised fee or wait until next year when the player will be a free agent.
Garcia’s future, needless to say, depends on their plan of action on the Davies front.