Real Madrid News
Five key stats from Real Madrid 2-0 RB Leipzig
Real Madrid extended their 100% record in the 2022/23 campaign as they defeated RB Leipzig in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday night.
The Merengues were made to work hard by the German giants, who made a lively start to the game and put their hosts under the cosh. Indeed, Real Madrid needed Thibaut Courtois to bail them out on a few occasions in the first half as the likes of Christopher Nkunku and Timo Werner threatened.
It took some time, but Carlo Ancelotti’s side finally broke the deadlock in the 80th minute through Federico Valverde. Substitute Marco Asensio put the game to bed in stoppage time by making it 2-0.
The result meant that Real Madrid have now won each of their first eight matches across all competitions in 2022/23. It is the third-best start to a season in the club’s history after 1961/62 (11) and 1968/69 (11).
Following the victory on Wednesday, Los Blancos now have a 71.1% win percentage in 2022 across all competitions. It is their highest record for a calendar year since 2016.
Courtois once again came to Real Madrid’s rescue against RB Leipzig, making three saves on the night. The Belgian international has now stopped 24 of the last 25 shots he has faced in the Champions League, keeping three clean sheets in a row.
Valverde was once again on target for the Merengues. The Uruguayan has now been involved in six goals in his last nine games for Real Madrid in all competitions (3 goals and 3 assists), as many as in his previous 87 games for Los Blancos (4 and 2).
Asensio, who was in the headlines over the weekend for his touchline antics, got a chance on Wednesday. And he made the most of it by netting the second goal in stoppage time. With that strike, the 26-year-old has now scored 50 goals for Real Madrid in 238 matches.
Real Madrid News
U-turn? Benzema hints at Real Madrid stay during ceremony: “Reality is not the internet”
There has been a lot of talk around Karim Benzema’s situation over the course of the last week or so, with reports claiming that the Frenchman was on his way out of the Santiago Bernabeu.
With his contract expiring at the end of the season, it was reported that Benzema was joining Al Ittihad as part of an incredible deal worth nearly €200 million. The striker was also offered 100% of his image rights and advertising deals by the Saudi government.
Over the last day or so, it has been reported that the move is all but official at the moment, as Benzema has accepted the offer, and will soon inform Real Madrid about it.
Benzema was awarded the MARCA Leyenda awards for contribution to sports today, and speaking during it, he dropped a rather cryptic message about his future – one that says quite the opposite to what has been in the news recently.
“Speak to the fans? Speak about what? Why should I speak of the future if I’m in Madrid?”, Benzema said.
“It’s the internet speaking, and reality is not the internet,” he added.
This certainly falls away from the departure line for Benzema, who was reportedly already contemplating his life away from Madrid.
At first, though, he was hesitant about speaking about his future, saying, “Staying or leaving Real Madrid? At the moment, I’m here…we have a game on Saturday.”
He repeatedly talked about the fans, calling them the best in world football. He also said, “I know how much Real Madrid fans love me. I feel that when I’m on the pitch, I give my best for them, always.”
“I always say that we play with 11 on the pitch but also with a crucial factor, Real Madrid fans,” Benzema concluded.