Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Guardiola issues fitness update on key Manchester City duo as Real Madrid clash looms

Published

on

Photo by PAUL ELLIS/AFP via Getty Images

In exactly one week, Real Madrid and Manchester City are set to face off against each other in the semifinal of the UEFA Champions League. The high-voltage fixture will be a repeat of last season’s semifinal, and it was the Merengues who stole a last-minute comeback on that night.

Both teams are faced with key injuries ahead of the clash. Los Blancos were said to be on the edge with the participation of Luka Modric and David Alaba while the Premier League champions had uncertainty over the availability of Kevin De Bruyne and Nathan Ake.

Pep Guardiola has issued an update about his two stars’ fitness ahead of Manchester City’s clash against West Ham United and bore partially good news regarding the situation.

“Nathan Ake trained with us yesterday he feels good. Kevin De Bruyne started to move but didn’t train with the team. We have training in a few hours, we will see how they feel,” he said.

Ake is thus likely to make it in time to face the defending European champions next Tuesday after recovering from the hamstring injury he suffered against Bayern Munich. The situation with De Bruyne, however, is far from clear.

The Belgian missed the team’s clash against Fulham last week after sustaining an injury late in the match against Arsenal. Guardiola has refused to comment on how long the player will be out and his participation at the Santiago Bernabeu could go either way.

Real Madrid have been clearly luckier on the injury front with massive developments being made. Not only did David Alaba return to group training but Ancelotti also confirmed that Modric was likely going to be available for both the Cup final and the UCL fixture.

As it stands, there is a good chance all four stars feature on the night and set up a clash of the highest level.

Source: Manchester City official Twitter

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid out-of-favour defender now unlikely to leave the club

Published

on

Photo by GABRIEL BOUYS/AFP via Getty Images

Real Madrid missed out on the signing of Leny Yoro after deciding not to match Manchester United’s offer for the 18-year-old defender.

With the French prodigy now on his way to the Premier League, Los Blancos are assessing their options before deciding whether to sign a new centre-back or not.

As things stand, the reigning champions of Spain and Europe seem to be leaning towards relying on their existing options rather than going into the market.

Jesus Vallejo unlikely to leave

As such, MARCA reports that the likelihood of Jesus Vallejo leaving the club have now significantly reduced.

Indeed, the 27-year-old out-of-favour defender now appears more and more likely to continue at Real Madrid beyond this summer.

Set to stay. (Photo by Angel Martinez/Getty Images)

Vallejo returned to the Santiago Bernabeu after finishing his loan stint at Granada during which he hardly played due to injury and fitness woes.

As such, reports suggested that Carlo Ancelotti & co. were not planning on counting on him next season, even though he was handed a new shirt number recently.

But with the Leny Yoro operation collapsing and Real Madrid not keen on recruiting anyone from the market at this point, the Spanish ace is now unlikely to leave the club.

With David Alaba still sidelined, Antonio Rudiger and Eder Militao will start the new season as the first-choice centre-back pairing and Vallejo will serve as the backup while Aurelien Tchouameni will also be an option.

Vallejo, for his part, wanted to stay put and see out his contract which expires in 2025. And, as things stand, it appears that the player will get his wish.

Continue Reading