Real Madrid News
Injury update: Real Madrid could be without key midfielder for Manchester City clash
The world has patiently waited two long weeks for the clash between Real Madrid and Manchester City. Now, less than 12 hours remain for the big game.
As the Etihad gears up to host Carlo Ancelotti’s side, the manager has had to deal with his own set of problems. Injuries have plagued Los Blancos‘ camp, and it is still not clear as to who will be available on the night.
According to reports from Mario Cortegana, there is pessimism around the participation of Casemiro against Pep Guardiola’s side.
The Brazilian has been an indispensable part of Real Madrid over the years, and this season is no different. Casemiro has executed his role as a pivot superbly, averaging three tackles and two interceptions in every game.
The 30-year-old’s absence for the semifinals of the UEFA Champions League is a big blow for Ancelotti. It will need a special performance from his replacement to cover up for the void on the night.
The manager could start Eduardo Camavinga as the defensive midfielder against Manchester City. The other alternative would be to play Federico Valverde alongside Toni Kroos and Luka Modric. Of the two options, the former seems to be the more likely choice.
Ancelotti could be without the services of David Alaba, too, on the night after the Austrian injured his hamstring in Real Madrid’s last league game. Needless to say, he will hope that the duo is fit in time for the second leg next week at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Real Madrid News
U-turn? Benzema hints at Real Madrid stay during ceremony: “Reality is not the internet”
There has been a lot of talk around Karim Benzema’s situation over the course of the last week or so, with reports claiming that the Frenchman was on his way out of the Santiago Bernabeu.
With his contract expiring at the end of the season, it was reported that Benzema was joining Al Ittihad as part of an incredible deal worth nearly €200 million. The striker was also offered 100% of his image rights and advertising deals by the Saudi government.
Over the last day or so, it has been reported that the move is all but official at the moment, as Benzema has accepted the offer, and will soon inform Real Madrid about it.
Benzema was awarded the MARCA Leyenda awards for contribution to sports today, and speaking during it, he dropped a rather cryptic message about his future – one that says quite the opposite to what has been in the news recently.
“Speak to the fans? Speak about what? Why should I speak of the future if I’m in Madrid?”, Benzema said.
“It’s the internet speaking, and reality is not the internet,” he added.
This certainly falls away from the departure line for Benzema, who was reportedly already contemplating his life away from Madrid.
At first, though, he was hesitant about speaking about his future, saying, “Staying or leaving Real Madrid? At the moment, I’m here…we have a game on Saturday.”
He repeatedly talked about the fans, calling them the best in world football. He also said, “I know how much Real Madrid fans love me. I feel that when I’m on the pitch, I give my best for them, always.”
“I always say that we play with 11 on the pitch but also with a crucial factor, Real Madrid fans,” Benzema concluded.