Connect with us

Real Madrid News

‘It was a failure’ – Mbappe reflects on Euro 2024 campaign after France exit

Published

on

Photo by FRANCK FIFE/AFP via Getty Images

France were dumped out of the UEFA Euro 2024 last night as they fell to a 2-1 defeat to Spain at the Allianz Arena in Munich.

The game brought an end to what has been a disappointing Euro campaign for Les Bleus as a whole and their captain Kylian Mbappe on a personal level.

Indeed, the Real Madrid new signing endured a difficult run in the tournament, bothered by a fractured nose that forced him to play most of the matches with a protective mask.

Mbappe finished the tournament with a solitary goal which came from the penalty spot, and an assist.

Mbappe reflects on Euro failure

Speaking to the media after the defeat to Spain in Munich, Mbappe admitted that the Euros had been a big failure for him given that he entered the competition with the aim of going all the way.

“My ambition was to be champion of Europe – but it was a failure,” said Mbappe, as quoted by BBC Sport.

Mbappe endured a poor run at the Euros. (Photo by FRANCK FIFE/AFP via Getty Images)

On being asked if the facial injury had held him back, the 25-year-old Real Madrid superstar simply said:

“It was everything. You shouldn’t overcomplicate it, it was either good or it was not. Voila, I was not good and we are going home. It’s simple.”

When asked what lies ahead for him, the French forward stated that he would take a small vacation now before joining his new teammates at Real Madrid for the upcoming season.

“I’ll be going on holiday,” said Mbappe.

“I will rest which will do me good, and then I’ll come back very strong in a new town with a new boss.”

As things stand, plans are in place for Real Madrid to hold Mbappe’s official presentation ceremony on July 16 in a grand event at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The France captain will not be joining Carlo Ancelotti & co. for pre-season right away while he is also expected to sit out of the USA tour, along with Eduardo Camavinga, Aurelien Tchouameni, and Ferland Mendy.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid out-of-favour defender now unlikely to leave the club

Published

on

Photo by GABRIEL BOUYS/AFP via Getty Images

Real Madrid missed out on the signing of Leny Yoro after deciding not to match Manchester United’s offer for the 18-year-old defender.

With the French prodigy now on his way to the Premier League, Los Blancos are assessing their options before deciding whether to sign a new centre-back or not.

As things stand, the reigning champions of Spain and Europe seem to be leaning towards relying on their existing options rather than going into the market.

Jesus Vallejo unlikely to leave

As such, MARCA reports that the likelihood of Jesus Vallejo leaving the club have now significantly reduced.

Indeed, the 27-year-old out-of-favour defender now appears more and more likely to continue at Real Madrid beyond this summer.

Set to stay. (Photo by Angel Martinez/Getty Images)

Vallejo returned to the Santiago Bernabeu after finishing his loan stint at Granada during which he hardly played due to injury and fitness woes.

As such, reports suggested that Carlo Ancelotti & co. were not planning on counting on him next season, even though he was handed a new shirt number recently.

But with the Leny Yoro operation collapsing and Real Madrid not keen on recruiting anyone from the market at this point, the Spanish ace is now unlikely to leave the club.

With David Alaba still sidelined, Antonio Rudiger and Eder Militao will start the new season as the first-choice centre-back pairing and Vallejo will serve as the backup while Aurelien Tchouameni will also be an option.

Vallejo, for his part, wanted to stay put and see out his contract which expires in 2025. And, as things stand, it appears that the player will get his wish.

Continue Reading