The news of Kylian Mbappe staying at PSG came quick and fast on Saturday and was even officially confirmed by both club and player in the night. Needless to say, the Real Madrid faithful are still coming to terms with what was more than just a bad dream.
The fans of the Spanish club had already considered Mbappe to be a Real Madrid player, going so far as to give him a standing ovation when he came to the Bernabeu earlier this season. Now, blood boils at the offices in Madrid over what is considered nothing short of a ‘betrayal’.
According to reports from Melchor Ruiz, it is very complicated for Mbappe to sign for Madrid in the future. The club is disappointed and angry with the player for his sudden decision to renew his contract.
His new deal in Paris will see him at Parc des Princes until 2025 with a massive boost in salary. It is said that several high profile individuals, including the president of France, had a role to play in ensuring his continuity in Ligue 1.
It is vital that Los Blancos do not splash their money in the hope of finding a replacement star signing in June. The saved wage cap can now be used to reinforce positions like defensive midfield and right-back that require urgent attention.
As for the forward line, Real Madrid still boast of one of world football’s strongest forces without Mbappe. Karim Benzema, Vinicius Jr and Rodrygo Goes will be the first choice trio for Ancelotti, and will only get better as the season progresses.
Madrid play against Liverpool later this month in the final of the UEFA Champions League. A win in Paris would be the perfect way to cap off what has been a spectacular season for the men in white.
Benfica have no interest in selling Real Madrid’s midfield target in January – report
Real Madrid’s interest in Benfica and Argentina midfielder Enzo Fernandez is now a well-known fact.
As quoted before, the 21-year-old has a release clause worth €120 million in his current deal and despite strong interest from several suitors, the Portuguese side has no interest in parting ways with the player in January.
The aforementioned information is relayed by transfer market specialist Fabrizio Romano, who also claims that Fernandez’s former side, River Plate, also have a ‘percentage of future sale’.
Enzo Fernandez has been one of the breakout stars at the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar. The 21-year-old has played three games for his national team at the world event and despite playing deep, has returned with a goal and an assist.
Interestingly enough, the 2022/23 season is Fernandez’s first campaign in European football. The midfielder has been with River Plate since 2006 and only moved to Benfica in July 2022 for a fee quoted to be around €10 million plus €8 million in add-ons.
In his debut season with the Portuguese team, he has so far scored one goal in 13 league outings followed by three assists.
Meanwhile, Real Madrid’s interest in the Argentine does not really strike as any surprise. The team from the capital city is anyway looking for a long-term successor to Luka Modric, but as it turns out, Benfica will fight hard to retain their man as they do not wish to sell their asset in January.
From Madrid’s perspective, they are anyway not expected to make any big signing in January as their primary target is still Borussia Dortmund’s Jude Bellingham. The England midfielder is highly tipped to leave Germany at the end of the season and Madrid are said to be the most likely destination if not the Premier League.
In any way, the fee for Bellingham might as well rise upto €120 million given the interest he has generated across the continent so it will be upto Real Madrid to decide between the two.