Atletico Madrid News
Mbappe says he understands Griezmann’s disappointment regarding France’s captaincy
French national team coach Didier Deschamps dropped a bombshell earlier this week, appointing Kylian Mbappe as the captain of the team, ahead of Atletico Madrid superstar Antoine Griezmann.
The decision reportedly came as a shock to Griezmann, who is currently one of the senior players in the team and has played a key role in France’s ascension under Deschamps.
However, in his latest interview, Mbappe addressed the speculations over a potential row between him and Griezmann, suggesting that the former Barcelona captain is happy and has shown great determination in training.
“I talked to Antoine, he was disappointed and it’s understandable, it’s a reaction that can happen. I told him that I would have had the same reaction, he is perhaps the most important player of the Deschamps era,” Mbappe said (h/t Diario AS).
“I’m not his boss. We are going to be hand in hand, he and I, to try to make this French team reign worldwide. If he has something to say to the group, I sit down and listen. You don’t have to close the door to anyone, everyone is free to express themselves,” he added.
Mbappe, who has been linked with a potential move to Real Madrid in 2024, has had a growing stature in the French national team, especially after his heroic performances at the 2022 FIFA World Cup, even though it was not enough to seal the coveted trophy.
“I can assure you that Griezmann, since Monday, has been smiling. That he was disappointed at the time is legitimate. But that’s where it was. From what I see, everyone has the same goal regarding the objectives of the selection. Antoine is vice-captain, he has an important role as always. He is radiant, both in training and in group life,” Mbappe added, acknowledging Griezmann’s disappointment.
Griezmann’s snub as the captain of Les Bleus comes at a time when the forward is enjoying an excellent season at Atletico Madrid, with 21 goals involvement in 36 competitive matches. It appears the forward is getting back to his groove, after a forgettable spell at Barcelona.
Atletico Madrid News
Atletico Madrid, Chelsea contact PSG midfielder’s agent with player set to leave
Atletico Madrid and Chelsea are among the clubs that have made contact with the agent of PSG midfielder Leandro Paredes, who is set to leave this summer.
This claim comes from journalist Martin Arevalo on ESPN, who states that apart from Atletico and Chelsea, an unnamed third club have also established contact with the Argentine international’s representative.
Paredes has been on PSG’s books since January 2019, when he arrived from Zenit St. Petersburg. For a large part of his time at the French capital outfit, the midfielder had been a regular starter in the side.
However, last summer saw Paredes get shipped out on loan to Juventus. He has played 33 times for the Bianconeri this season with a return of one goal and assist apiece.
The Serie A heavyweights, who were recently hit with a 10-point deduction, have the option to purchase him permanently. But, as per the report, his relationship with manager Massimiliano Allegri is not good and a return to PSG is on the cards.
And considering that he is not in the plans back at Parc des Princes either, a permanent departure away seems set in stone for Paredes.
As such, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, and an unnamed club have shown interest in acquiring his services by making contact with the 28-year-old World Cup winner’s agent.
With Koke entering the final phase of his career and Geoffrey Kondogbia expected to leave at the end of the season, the Rojiblancos could do with reinforcements in the centre of the park.
Paredes, who has plenty of experience at the highest level and is known for his aggressive mentality, can be a good fit into Diego Simeone’s setup at the Civitas Metropolitano.
But, with Chelsea also in the picture, things could get tricky for the Colchoneros. After all, Atleti are operating on tight finances and are looking for bargain and free transfer signings in the market with the likes of Marcus Thuram, Jordi Alba, and Raphael Guerreiro emerging as targets.