Following Barcelona’s 4-0 routing of Real Valladolid and Real Madrid 1-3 late win against Espanyol, the pressure is on Atletico Madrid to keep a three-way title race alive for La Liga fans this season.
They are coming off a 0-2 loss at the hands of Villarreal, where Geronimo Rulli’s exploits kept Diego Simeone’s men out of the game for 90 minutes.
Up next is Valencia at the Mestalla, which can cause even more heartache for Atletico. Nahuel Molina picked up a red card in injury time vs Villarreal and will not be travelling with the team.
Renan Lodi’s loan move to Nottingham Forest has been confirmed, which means he is not a part of the squad list either. In fact, Simeone will travel with four natural defenders in his team – Jose Gimenez, Felipe, Mario Hermoso, and Reinildo.
That said, Saul, Carrasco, Axel Witsel and Marcos Llorente are more than capable of covering the backline.
Geoffrey Kondogbia was part of the squad list in both games so far this season, but did not get the chance to grace the pitch yet. He has been included in the list alongside fellow central midfielders Koke, Rodrigo de Paul and Thomas Lemar.
The squad list for Valencia vs Atleti 📋 pic.twitter.com/1LOoVYLhzX— Atlético de Madrid (@atletienglish) August 29, 2022
Manchester United, Tottenham monitoring Atletico Madrid star; player wants Barcelona move
Yannick Carrasco could be on the move from Atletico Madrid in the summer transfer window later this year. The Belgian international’s contract with the club expires in 2024 and he is being heavily linked with an exit.
As is well known at this point, Barcelona have secured a €20 million purchase option for Carrasco in the summer as part of their negotiations to sell Memphis Depay to Atleti last month.
But, according to Fabrizio Romano, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur are also monitoring Carrasco’s situation at the Civitas Metropolitano and could make a move to sign him up in the next transfer window.
Tottenham are long-term admirers of Carrasco and have previously made attempts to sign him. And it seems like their interest in the 29-year-old wide midfielder remains intact.
Meanwhile, Manchester United are also said to be keeping a close watch on Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid as they are on the lookout to bolster their flanks further.
But any move from Tottenham or Manchester United would require Barcelona not to trigger their option to sign Carrasco from Atletico Madrid in the summer.
The update from Romano states that the Catalan giants are yet to make a decision on whether they want to activate their buy option for the winger.
While that may be so, SPORT is reporting that Carrasco has his heart set on a move to Spotify Camp Nou and would be ready to snub interest from the Premier League clubs in order to join Xavi’s Barcelona.
The Belgian’s agent, Pini Zahavi, has a good relationship with Barcelona, having helped them sign Robert Lewandowski last summer. He even tried to engineer a move to Camp Nou for Carrasco in January, but the Colchoneros did not budge.
As things stand, Carrasco’s future seems to be away from Atletico Madrid. What now remains to be seen is if Barcelona decide to sign him or whether he ends up in the Premier League.