Rodrigo Faez has finally broken the ice on the future and potential transfer of Kylian Mbappe to Real Madrid. According to the journalist, the Merengues will turn up the heat in his pursuit next week.
It has been a restless couple of days at Santiago Bernabeu, for the Frenchman’s silence left the club with no clarity of their approach to the transfer market. Real Madrid have Mbappe as their top priority, but there appears to be no plan B.
Florentino Perez and the administration at the Valdebebas are convinced that the 24-year-old will join Real Madrid and that his move is only a matter of time. With that confidence, Los Blancos not only cut off talks with all other potential targets but also declared their transfer market closed for the ongoing summer.
To this point, there is no clarity over whether Mbappe will join the Merengues this summer or the next.
After all, reports state that he does not want to forfeit his wages for next season in Paris and the signing bonus that Los Blancos would offer him if he signs on a free transfer. The aforementioned bonus could run up to €130 million.
Paris Saint-Germain, however, do not concur. The Ligue 1 champions are firm that they will sell Mbappe this summer if he does not intend to renew, and the tussle between the two parties was responsible for the prolonged silence on the situation.
The coming week will thus be critical in deciding not only Mbappe’s but also Real Madrid’s fate heading into the new season.
The Meerengues are in dire need of depth in the forward department, and will likely enter the season with just three established forwards if the Frenchman pushes his arrival to 2024.
Real Madrid rising star suffered against Atletico due to veteran forward’s absence, says Simeone
Real Madrid’s 3-1 defeat to Atletico Madrid was not the first time were in trouble this season. In fact, the Merengues have gone behind early in almost every league game so far.
However, the difference on Sunday night was that they never really mounted a comeback. More importantly, Jude Bellingham did not come good, for the first time.
Simeone unravels the mystery
A jubilant Diego Simeone spoke to the media after his side downed Real Madrid by three goals to one and spoke about a plethora of topics.
Interestingly, he commented specifically on why Bellingham did not have an impact at Civitas Metropolitano, citing the absence of Joselu as a key factor.
“No, the spaces were reduced and I think that Joselu’s lack of presence left him with fewer chances to get there, when he takes advantage of Joselu’s aerial play. We controlled him better, he’s extraordinary,” he said, as quoted by AS.
He even called out the refereeing on the night and insisted that the Real Madrid star-boy should have seen red for his late tackle on Angel Correa, saying:
“It looked like a sending-off to me live, it was a hard leg up, with Angelito hitting the ball.”
Ironically, he defended his defender Jose Maria Gimenez for an equally threatening tackle on the night.
“A bad foul, it’s a yellow card because it goes sideways. Bellingham goes from the front and I think it’s a bit more,” he stated paradoxically.
No time to lament
The game at Civitas Metropolitano may not have gone Real Madrid’s way. Yet, it is good for the Merengues to taste defeat early and see the gaping holes in their dynamic.
Carlo Ancelotti admitted in his press conference that he bore the lion’s share of the fault for Sunday’s loss and that he would have done things differently if given the chance.
“Maybe I could have done it better. It’s pretty clear. When the team doesn’t do what it has to do, it’s my responsibility,” he stated.
Nevertheless, Los Blancos have a hectic schedule ahead with two games in the next five days and a UCL fixture against Napoli next week. With Vinicius Jr back, one hopes they find their mojo once again.