Speaking to the media ahead of PSG’s Ligue 1 game against RC Strasbourg on Friday night, manager Mauricio Pochettino has opened up on the future of superstar Kylian Mbappe.
The 23-year-old has only two months left on his contract with Les Parisiens and talks over a renewal have not gone well, with the forward believed to be keen on a transfer to Real Madrid in the summer.
Los Blancos tried to sign him last summer but were rebuffed on multiple occasions by PSG. The newly-crowned Ligue 1 champions have been desperately trying to get Mbappe to sign an extension, but have been unsuccessful in their endeavours thus far.
Despite that, Pochettino, who himself is staring at an uncertain future in Paris, has claimed that he expects Mbappe to stay put at Parc des Princes this summer without a doubt.
As quoted by Hadrien Grenier, he said: “From how I feel and perceive it, and also because I cannot wish for anything else, I think Mbappé will stay 100% next season.”
However, the PSG manager insisted that nothing is certain in football and things might change. “But you never know in football, you can expect a lot of things,” Pochettino said.
Mbappe has enjoyed another fine season on a personal level, even though the team have been unable to perform at the level expected. In 42 games across all competitions, the French international has netted 33 goals and assisted 22 more.
Despite PSG’s continued insistence that Mbappe could stay, Real Madrid are confident about their chances of signing the 2018 FIFA World Cup winner on a Bosman deal at the end of the season.
At 23, the forward has his best years well ahead of him and can prove to be an excellent acquisition for Real Madrid for a long time.
Real Madrid closely following the progress of 19-year-old Brazilian centre-back
Real Madrid have made it a habit to identify and sign the best young talents from Brazil in recent times. The Merengues recently signed Endrick Felipe from Palmeiras, although the striker will join the club in 2024, once he turns 18 years old.
Now, according to journalist Bruno Andrade on UOL Esporte, Real Madrid have set their sights on 19-year-old Brazilian defender Robert Renan.
The teenage centre-half came through the ranks at Corinthians and went on to make 13 senior appearances for the Brazilian outfit. He left the club last month to sign for Russian giants Zenit St. Petersburg as part of the operation involving Yuri Alberto.
Renan is yet to make his debut for Zenit, but Real Madrid have had their eyes on the 19-year-old for a while now and have been closely following his progress and performances.
The teenage defender is currently a part of the Brazil U-20 team at the South American U-20 Championship in Colombia. And he has performed admirably in the tournament, featuring in each of his team’s five matches so far.
Renan’s performances in the U-20 Championship are said to have further piqued the interest of Real Madrid.
The report suggests that Los Blancos will continue keeping tabs on the young defender’s development at Zenit over the coming months.
With Nacho Fernandez’s contract expiring at the end of the season and Jesus Vallejo’s future uncertain as well, Real Madrid could use a defensive reinforcement in the summer to support Eder Militao, David Alaba and Antonio Rudiger.
Established players such as Josko Gvardiol have been linked with a move to the Bernabeu.
Renan, too, could be an option for Real Madrid in the summer. But, as things stand, the interest in the Brazilian is at a very nascent stage and the Merengues will continue to track his progress at Zenit, where his contract runs until 2028.