Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid and Kylian Mbappe closing in on an agreement over image rights – report

Published

on

Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images

Kylian Mbappe’s transfer to Real Madrid is all but imminent and the only thing that remains to be signed is the image rights agreement.

Interestingly enough, Spanish publication AS has reported that this deal between the Frenchman and Real Madrid is very close to being agreed upon and even the final agreement is definitive.

It has been quoted earlier that the record European champions do not want to break their wage barrier, meaning that the 25-year-old will be on the same payscale as Jude Bellingham and Vinicius Jr.

So what’s stalling the deal?

Since the Galacticos era at Madrid, the tradition has been to evenly split image rights 50/50 between the club and the player. 

This principle laid the groundwork for the Galactico era back then which was fueled by the financial success of iconic players like Figo, Ronaldo, David Beckham, and Zinedine Zidane.

Kylian Mbappe earns €20 million per year from advertising. (Photo by SEBASTIEN SALOM-GOMIS/AFP via Getty Images)

This arrangement was later disrupted by the arrival of Cristiano Ronaldo in 2009 and Madrid, for their part, were forced to kneel owing his salary.

This is where the deal between Real Madrid and Mbappe is slowing. The ongoing negotiation is revolving around the distribution of these image rights, marking the final point of contention in their discussions.

What’s the current discussion?

While the completion of this deal is imminent, it is believed that the current discussion revolves around the fact that Mbappe will have 80% rights while the remaining 20% will be allocated to Madrid.

At present, Mbappe has 100% of his image rights and for that reason, he is pocketing €20 million per year from advertising alone. At Madrid, though, even if he shares his quota, this figure will soar significantly, propelling him to a glorified global stature.

Right now, Mbappe has three big sponsors: Nike, Hublot, and Oakley. If he joins Real Madrid, his popularity will have no bounds. It means a lot of money for Madrid and Mbappe will be like a goldmine for them.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Barcelona find legal precedent to replay El Clasico after ‘ghost goal’ controversy

Published

on

Photo by JAVIER SORIANO/AFP via Getty Images

Barcelona’s recent defeat to Real Madrid in El Clasico appears to have caused calamity inside the Catalan camp.

The defeat has effectively ruled Barça out of the title race while further diminishing the chances of Xavi staying at Camp Nou.

Amid all this, Barcelona president Joan Laporta appears to be having a hard swallowing the result and has gone on a rampage against the use of VAR, which notably annulled a goal from Lamine Yamal after it was cleared from behind the line by Andriy Lunin.

A day after the result, Laporta even warned that Barcelona might seek legal measures to try and replay El Clasico if they find any evidence of wrongdoings. And that statement could now soon turn into reality.

Barcelona consider legal measures

According to Cadena SER, Barcelona are considering legal action under the guidance of none other than Laporta to force a replay.

Their inspiration? An incident earlier this year in the Belgian League, where a VAR error led to the permission for a replay of an Anderlecht vs Genk match, although the decision was later annulled by the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS).

Joan Laporta ready to take legal measures. (Photo by JOSEP LAGO/AFP via Getty Images)

CAS is the apex body for all things related to sports. And although the entity was involved in annulling the replay between Genk and Anderlecht, Barcelona are hopeful they would intervene in this matter.

The Catalans are aware that local bodies such as RFEF and CTA might not cooperate with Barcelona, knowing the image and prestige of Spanish football could be at stake.

As such, Barça are hopeful of intervention from CAS. They want the apex court to look into the matter and stage a replay of the Clasico.

Barca’s threats of legal action, including potentially involving the CAS, seem like a desperate attempt to try and remain in the title race – the only avenue for silverware left for the Catalans this season.

Continue Reading