Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid call up 18-year-old Castilla striker for Sevilla clash after Benzema injury

Published

on

Photo by PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU/AFP via Getty Images

According to MARCA, Real Madrid have included Castilla striker Alvaro Rodriguez in the squad for the match against Sevilla later tonight, following the injury to Karim Benzema.

The 34-year-old Ballon d’Or winner was ruled out of the contest earlier today due to muscle fatigue, leaving Los Blancos an attacker short heading into the crucial match at the Santiago Bernabeu. It must be noted that Mariano Diaz is also sidelined with an injury.

As a replacement, Carlo Ancelotti has reportedly named 18-year-old Alvaro Rodriguez in the squad, with the young striker earning his first-ever senior call-up.

Rodriguez has been with Real Madrid since 2020, having arrived from the Girona FC academy.

The teenage striker, to date, has scored six goals and set up four more in 22 matches for the club’s Castilla outfit, with two of those goals coming in the ongoing season.

Rodriguez signed a new long-term contract with Real Madrid earlier this year after turning 18, committing his future to the Spanish capital club until the summer of 2027.

The Spanish prospect was called up to train with the first-team squad on Friday and the unfortunate situation surrounding Benzema has meant that he is now in contention to make his senior debut for Real Madrid later tonight.

Iker Bravo has usually been the Castilla striker that has been called up by Ancelotti to the first-team setup this season. The ex-Barcelona forward also trained with the senior side on Friday. However, Ancelotti has decided to use Rodriguez instead of him.

With Benzema absent, Rodrygo Goes is all but certain to start through the middle.

It will be interesting to see if the 18-year-old Rodriguez gets any minutes against Sevilla.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

‘We will see’ – PSG manager coy on Kylian Mbappe’s future

Published

on

By

Photo by FRANCK FIFE/AFP via Getty Images

Paris Saint-Germain manager Luis Enrique has asked for patience regarding Kylian Mbappe’s future, saying that everyone must wait for the player and PSG to make an official announcement.

Now that the Ligue 1 team has qualified for the UEFA Champions League semi-final, the player is rightly expected to focus on the continental glory, keeping aside his impending move to Real Madrid.

Speaking after his side’s 4-1 win over Barcelona in the UCL quarter-final, Enrique said that he cannot comment on anything unless Mbappe himself releases a statement.

“Let’s wait for Kylian to speak about his future. When Mbappe and PSG will speak in public, we will see,” said Enrique as quoted by Fabrizio Romano.

“It’s like a process. Until Mbappe goes and speaks in public, I’m just here waiting and staying silent,” he added.

What’s going on with Mbappe?

Mbappe’s time with PSG is coming to an end as his contract expires this season, and if reports are to be believed, he has chosen to depart as a free agent.

Reports suggest he is set to join Real Madrid, with rumours of a contract already in place.

Kylian Mbappe scored two goals against Barcelona. (Photo by JOSEP LAGO/AFP via Getty Images)

Now, it was suggested that PSG’s elimination from the Champions League could have hastened the process, potentially bringing Mbappe’s move to Madrid closer. 

However, their qualification for the semi-final, and the chance of facing Real Madrid in the final, mean any official announcement will likely be delayed.

As for the player, he revealed after the match that his future will not change even if PSG go on to win the UEFA Champions League. 

“Playing for the team from my country’s capital is very special, I dreamed of these play-offs when I came to PSG. It’s a great day for the club,” said the forward.

Continue Reading