Real Madrid News
Real Madrid defender has agreed terms over a new one-year contract with the club
Nacho Fernandez has slipped down the pecking order at Real Madrid over the past year. The arrivals of David Alaba and Antonio Rudiger along with Eder Militao’s ever-rising importance make it difficult for the Spaniard to see minutes.
Yet, the defender has been an absolute sportsman at the club. He has understood his role as a high-quality backup and does not demand anything from the manager. Given the chance, he seldom disappoints on the field.
Nacho’s current contract with Real Madrid expires at the end of the season and reports had suggested that talks over a renewal were not going anywhere.
It has even sparked a lot of interest in his services, with clubs like Bayern Munich, AC Milan, Juventus, Napoli and AS Roma are also watching his situation.
But according to reports from AS, the centre-back has already agreed on personal terms with Real Madrid verbally about a possible contract extension. The revised terms will see him don the white jersey for 12 more months. Both parties are waiting until the end of the season to sign the paperwork and make it official.
Los Blancos see him as a valuable resource for Carlo Ancelotti’s plans but refuse to offer a renewal beyond a year as is their norm with all veterans. Needless to say, his further continuity will depend on his performance over the next year and his age.
The defender has made seven La Liga appearances for the Merengues this season, but most of his minutes have come off the bench. He played a critical role in the team’s 3-2 comeback win over Villarreal, however, as he made 14 defensive actions in ninety minutes.
Nacho could get more prominence as the gruelling season progresses. Rotations will be key for Ancelotti’s side to lead their charge on all fronts, and the 33-year-old will serve as a critical component.
Real Madrid News
U-turn? Benzema hints at Real Madrid stay during ceremony: “Reality is not the internet”
There has been a lot of talk around Karim Benzema’s situation over the course of the last week or so, with reports claiming that the Frenchman was on his way out of the Santiago Bernabeu.
With his contract expiring at the end of the season, it was reported that Benzema was joining Al Ittihad as part of an incredible deal worth nearly €200 million. The striker was also offered 100% of his image rights and advertising deals by the Saudi government.
Over the last day or so, it has been reported that the move is all but official at the moment, as Benzema has accepted the offer, and will soon inform Real Madrid about it.
Benzema was awarded the MARCA Leyenda awards for contribution to sports today, and speaking during it, he dropped a rather cryptic message about his future – one that says quite the opposite to what has been in the news recently.
“Speak to the fans? Speak about what? Why should I speak of the future if I’m in Madrid?”, Benzema said.
“It’s the internet speaking, and reality is not the internet,” he added.
This certainly falls away from the departure line for Benzema, who was reportedly already contemplating his life away from Madrid.
At first, though, he was hesitant about speaking about his future, saying, “Staying or leaving Real Madrid? At the moment, I’m here…we have a game on Saturday.”
He repeatedly talked about the fans, calling them the best in world football. He also said, “I know how much Real Madrid fans love me. I feel that when I’m on the pitch, I give my best for them, always.”
“I always say that we play with 11 on the pitch but also with a crucial factor, Real Madrid fans,” Benzema concluded.