Real Madrid News
Real Madrid midfielder could be in contention to feature against Atletico – report
Real Madrid face a stern test this midweek as they take on Atletico Madrid in the quarter-finals of the Copa del Rey. It is a must-win game for Carlo Ancelotti’s men as the club have not historically done well in the competition.
Heading into the game, Real Madrid faced a few setbacks as the likes of Aurelien Tchouameni, Dani Carvajal, Eden Hazard and Lucas Vazquez were all believed to be ruled out of the contest.
However, according to a report from AS, Tchouameni, who was struggling with an injury to his left leg, has recovered well so far and has improved his fitness. He has started running programs and has even done exercises.
Although the Frenchman has yet to train with the main squad, he has been working hard at Valdebebas to make himself fit for the Atletico Madrid game on Thursday.
The report suggests that the final call on whether Tchouameni features will be up to Ancelotti and the Italian will decide if he gives a few minutes this midweek or lets him continue his recovery away from the squad..
Tchouameni has been in controversy recently when he travelled to Paris to watch the NBA game between the Bulls and the Pistons instead of watching Real Madrid.
The youngster has since apologised to the club, as well as to his teammates and fans. He wants to make amends by recovering quickly and making his return to the pitch as soon as possible.
Tchouameni, though, is not the only injury boost for Real Madrid ahead of the clash against Atletico Madrid. It appears the Whites are also expected to have David Alaba back from injury, with the Austrian international in contention to feature in this midweek affair.
The return of Alaba and Tchouameni could go a long way in boosting Real Madrid’s chances of booking a place in the Copa del Rey semi-finals, as they take on their cross-town rivals this midweek.
Real Madrid News
U-turn? Benzema hints at Real Madrid stay during ceremony: “Reality is not the internet”
There has been a lot of talk around Karim Benzema’s situation over the course of the last week or so, with reports claiming that the Frenchman was on his way out of the Santiago Bernabeu.
With his contract expiring at the end of the season, it was reported that Benzema was joining Al Ittihad as part of an incredible deal worth nearly €200 million. The striker was also offered 100% of his image rights and advertising deals by the Saudi government.
Over the last day or so, it has been reported that the move is all but official at the moment, as Benzema has accepted the offer, and will soon inform Real Madrid about it.
Benzema was awarded the MARCA Leyenda awards for contribution to sports today, and speaking during it, he dropped a rather cryptic message about his future – one that says quite the opposite to what has been in the news recently.
“Speak to the fans? Speak about what? Why should I speak of the future if I’m in Madrid?”, Benzema said.
“It’s the internet speaking, and reality is not the internet,” he added.
This certainly falls away from the departure line for Benzema, who was reportedly already contemplating his life away from Madrid.
At first, though, he was hesitant about speaking about his future, saying, “Staying or leaving Real Madrid? At the moment, I’m here…we have a game on Saturday.”
He repeatedly talked about the fans, calling them the best in world football. He also said, “I know how much Real Madrid fans love me. I feel that when I’m on the pitch, I give my best for them, always.”
“I always say that we play with 11 on the pitch but also with a crucial factor, Real Madrid fans,” Benzema concluded.