Real Madrid News
Real Madrid reach ‘agreement in principle’ over star midfielder’s extension – Romano
When Luka Modric stood on the sideline of Estadio de La Cartuja on Saturday night, ready to come on for the final period, the chants in the stadium said it all about the midfielder’s legacy.
At this point in his career, every stadium in the world appears to be a home stadium for Modric. The midfielder is widely respected as one of the best players of his generation and he continues to age like fine wine.
Talks between Modric and Real Madrid over a contract extension have been ongoing for a long time now. The last week, in particular, has seen the process accelerated.
According to reports from the ever-reliable Fabrizio Romano, Modric’s continuity at the club is now written in stone. The veteran has an agreement in principle with the club to stay until the summer of 2024 and the option of another year has also been mentioned.
There has never been a speck of doubt over the multiple-time Champions League winner’s priority to stay at Real Madrid. After all, he even rejected a lucrative offer from Saudi Arabia earlier this year to compete at the highest level.
Carlo Ancelotti opted to use the midfielder sparingly against Osasuna purely out of precaution. Considering the schedule up ahead for Los Blancos, his decision was in the club’s best interest.
Modric is expected to start when Real Madrid take on Manchester City on Tuesday night in the first leg of the UEFA Champions League semifinal. Going up against one of the best teams in world football, the Croat will have to dig up every ounce of his experience to help Madrid progress.
In eight UCL appearances for Los Blancos this season, the 37-year-old has scored two goals and provided one assist. Further, he averages one key pass per game and has created three big chances,
Real Madrid News
Brazil not giving up on pursuit of Ancelotti: “Haven’t thrown in the towel yet”
Speaking to the media, Brazil Football Confederations (CBF) president Ednaldo Rodrigues has claimed that the Selecao have not given up on their pursuit of Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti, despite the Italian stating that he will not leave the club.
Brazil have been without a manager since the World Cup in Qatar last year, following which Tite stepped down. The CBF have made Ancelotti their top target and have been pursuing his signing for months but to no avail.
The 63-year-old Italian tactician has, on more than one occasion, made it clear that he will be at Real Madrid next season, with his contract expiring in 2024.
However, CBF president Rodrigues is adamant that Ancelotti’s statements are due to him being cautious as he is under contract at Real Madrid and that the Selecao are not prepared to give up on their quest to appoint him as of yet.
“We made a plan, that ‘Plan A’ is the one you know, Ancelotti, and as they say in the ‘ring’ (boxing), I haven’t thrown in the towel yet,” Rodrigues said (h/t Mundo Deportivo).
“Because of contracts, people are cautious,” he added.
Ancelotti, for his part, has repeatedly stated that he does not intend to leave Real Madrid unless he is forced out of the club.
Despite missing out on the La Liga and the UEFA Champions League titles last season, the club continue to back the veteran Italian and are planning for next season with him in charge.
So, despite Rodrigues’ confidence and perseverance, it is extremely unlikely that Ancelotti will be leaving Real Madrid for Brazil this summer.