Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid receive huge injury boost ahead of Champions League semi-final vs Man City

Published

on

Versatile defender David Alaba will play for Real Madrid in their UEFA Champions League semi-final first-leg tie against Manchester City, to be played at the Etihad Stadium on Tuesday.

The former Bayern Munich defender had picked up a knock against Osasuna last week and was taken off at the stroke of half-time. Explaining his intensity, Carlo Ancelotti said that it was more of a precautionary step rather than being a forceful one.

“We are optimistic with [David] Alaba. He had a strain, we took him off as a precaution,” he explained.

While the initial thoughts were that the defender would miss the trip to Manchester, he was spotted training ahead of the first-leg tie. 

The 29-year-old underwent a regular training drill on Sunday, albeit through some discomfort, and journalist Edu Aguirre has confirmed that he will play for the team on Tuesday.

On the other hand, a contrary report from SPORT has said that neither Alaba nor Casemiro have completely recovered from their respective injuries. Despite that though, the duo has been included in the travelling squad for the first-leg tie.

The aforementioned source also says the players will only train with the rest of the team on Monday once they get a green signal following definitive tests at the venue.

Alaba has been one of the most consistent performers for Real Madrid this season, having made a total of 44 appearances across all competitions while scoring three goals.

His availability will come as a big relief for that team who were also sweating over the fitness of Ferland Mendy. Furthermore, with Eder Militao also returning from suspension, Ancelotti will have a full-fledged defence at his disposal.

Meanwhile, those missing the trip to Manchester are Mariano Diaz, Luka Jovic and Eden Hazard. On the other hand, Gareth Bale has been included in the team after being left out against Osasuna.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid veteran tipped to stay at club by ex-star: “His wish is to renew”

Published

on

Photo by FAYEZ NURELDINE/AFP via Getty Images

Real Madrid are in for a busy summer ahead. While the club are expected to undergo a massive squad overhaul, they are also facing pressure to renew the contracts of some of the most established players in the squad.

Luka Modric is among the list of veterans, who have their contracts expiring at the end of the season. At the age of 37, there has understandably been a layer of uncertainty over his future at Santiago Bernabeu, especially amid interest from Saudi Arabian entities.

The Saudi league has reportedly offered Modric the opportunity to join any club of his choice in the Middle East nation, with a two-and-a-half-year contract worth €40 million per season.

But in a recent media interaction, Predrag Mijatovic, former Real Madrid player and close friend of Modric, has backed the veteran Croat to continue at Santiago Bernabeu.

“When Luka Modric is well, Real Madrid plays much better. His wish is to renew one more year,” said Mijatovic (h/t El Larguero), who played for Real Madrid from 1996 to 1999, featuring in 118 competitive matches for the club.

Mijatovic’s comments confirm recent reports suggesting how Modric is leaning towards a prolonged stay at Bernabeu. It appears the ageing midfielder has no desire to accept the lucrative terms coming from Saudi Arabia just yet.

The former Tottenham star is confident of his abilities to continue at the highest level for at least another year before he can the next and final step in his career.

Since joining Real Madrid in 2012, Modric has featured in 462 competitive matches, racking up 36 goals and 74 assists. His contributions have been crucial to the club’s success over the past decade. Whether or not the midfielder is now willing to extend his stay for a further year remains to be seen.

Continue Reading