Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid regret selling 25-year-old defender in a rush and for a lower fee

Published

on

Photo by ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP via Getty Images

The planning for the coming summer transfer window in the offices of Santiago Bernabeu is massive. The club see several departments to be in urgent need of younger legs, including the number 9 position and midfield. One such department is the fullbacks.

Thus, a lot has been said about Real Madrid letting go of the likes of Theo Hernandez and Achraf Hakimi. Both players were at the club a few years ago and left after being told that they had no future in Madrid. Now, they are amongst the best players in the world in their position.

ABC (h/t MadridXtra) reveals the reasons why the club let go of the young stars. According to the Spanish outlet, Real Madrid were not convinced by Theo’s development at the club and saw the option of buying Mendy and keeping Marcelo to be superior.

Now, the management acknowledges that his sale was hasty and finalized for a low fee. His market value has quadrupled since he joined AC Milan, and there it is unlikely that the Spanish giants will try to sign him again.

As for Hakimi, they sold him because Daniel Carvajal was an undisputed starter and gave no room for the youngster to participate. The lack of playing time, coupled with the difficult financial situation during COVID, led to the decision.

Currently, at right-back, the club have Carvajal and Lucas Vazquez to cover the base. However, both players on the wrong side of 30, and can barely sustain their level in the near future.

The situation at left-back is not pleasant either, with Ferland Mendy dropping unconvincing displays regularly and David Alaba refusing to play in that position.

The decision to let go of the prodigies, thus, could come back to haunt the club in the years to come. Right now, Los Blancos eye Alphonso Davies of Bayern Munich as a possible signing on the left side. On the right-flank, names like Pedro Porro and Malo Gusto are on the table.

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Rafael Abadia

    January 12, 2023 at 1:38 pm

    Hakimi should never of been sold and Alaba has to play in the position he is told or else his pay can be frozen.
    No if or buts about it !!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid midfielder set to sign a four-year contract with the club

Published

on

Photo by OSCAR DEL POZO/AFP via Getty Images

In a major development, journalist Tomas Gonzalez-Martin is reporting that Real Madrid midfielder Dani Ceballos has decided to sign a new contract with the club and will pen a four-year deal to stay at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The 26-year-old midfielder’s current contract with Real Madrid stands to expire at the end of the season. And there had been conflicting reports over whether he would be offered a new deal by the Merengues.

But the Spaniard has managed to turn things around spectacularly in recent weeks, putting up top displays one after the other, helping Real Madrid emerge out of a poor run at the start of the new year.

It has convinced the club to hand him a new contract and it seems like things are moving swiftly on the renewal front for Ceballos.

Indeed, as per the update from Tomas Gonzalez-Martin, Real Madrid have decided to offer him a new four-year contract that will keep him at the club until the summer of 2027. It will see the midfielder receive an improved salary to the one that he is currently earning.

And Ceballos has decided to sign the deal. The former Real Betis ace has always maintained that he wants to continue at the Bernabeu beyond the current campaign. And the two parties could now be close to shaking hands on a new contract.

Ceballos joined Real Madrid from Real Betis back in 2017, arriving as one of the most talented young midfielders in La Liga. However, he found the going tough initially, thanks to the hegemony of the midfield trio of Luka Modric, Toni Kroos, and Casemiro.

The Spaniard spent a couple of seasons on loan at Arsenal before returning to the club in 2021. If not for an injury while away at the Tokyo Olympics, Ceballos could have been sold that year.

Having returned to action in January last year, he has slowly but surely gained importance in Carlo Ancelotti’s plans. And he is now set to be rewarded with a new four-year contract by the champions of Spain and Europe.

Continue Reading