Real Madrid News
Real Madrid scouting 21-year-old Argentine midfield talent – report
Real Madrid’s midfield has become a talking point for the world of football. Despite Toni Kroos, Luka Modric and Casemiro being on the wrong side of 30, they produce consistently excellent performances.
However, it is the harsh reality that the trio will not be at the club in a few years. Modric is not expected to stay beyond next season, and Kroos is rumoured to be considering retirement after the World Cup.
That said, the club are busy scouting replacements for their legendary trio. According to reports from TyC Sports and Diario Ole (h/t TheMadridZone), they have identified River Plate’s Enzo Fernandez as a possible option.
The Argentine has been an undisputed starter for both Marcelo Gallardo and Lionel Scaloni’s side this season.
Fernandez plays as an attacking midfielder, preferably on the right side of the field. What makes him invaluable to his managers are his creative output and immense work rate.
He has accumulated a whopping 954 minutes under his belt, scoring four goals and providing three assists in the process. Moreover, he is considered one of Argentina’s brightest young talents.
At just 21 years of age, the midfielder has a long career ahead of him. He averages 2.5 key passes per game and has created five big chances in the league alone.
Real Madrid already have Eduardo Camavinga who plays in a similar situation. However, should they get Fernandez on a budget deal, it would not hurt Carlo Ancelotti to have more than one option at his disposal.
Real Madrid News
U-turn? Benzema hints at Real Madrid stay during ceremony: “Reality is not the internet”
There has been a lot of talk around Karim Benzema’s situation over the course of the last week or so, with reports claiming that the Frenchman was on his way out of the Santiago Bernabeu.
With his contract expiring at the end of the season, it was reported that Benzema was joining Al Ittihad as part of an incredible deal worth nearly €200 million. The striker was also offered 100% of his image rights and advertising deals by the Saudi government.
Over the last day or so, it has been reported that the move is all but official at the moment, as Benzema has accepted the offer, and will soon inform Real Madrid about it.
Benzema was awarded the MARCA Leyenda awards for contribution to sports today, and speaking during it, he dropped a rather cryptic message about his future – one that says quite the opposite to what has been in the news recently.
“Speak to the fans? Speak about what? Why should I speak of the future if I’m in Madrid?”, Benzema said.
“It’s the internet speaking, and reality is not the internet,” he added.
This certainly falls away from the departure line for Benzema, who was reportedly already contemplating his life away from Madrid.
At first, though, he was hesitant about speaking about his future, saying, “Staying or leaving Real Madrid? At the moment, I’m here…we have a game on Saturday.”
He repeatedly talked about the fans, calling them the best in world football. He also said, “I know how much Real Madrid fans love me. I feel that when I’m on the pitch, I give my best for them, always.”
“I always say that we play with 11 on the pitch but also with a crucial factor, Real Madrid fans,” Benzema concluded.