Kai Havertz has endured a difficult spell at Chelsea since his €80 million move in September 2020. The former Bayer Leverkusen star is one of the brightest prospects in world football in his own right, yet his performances in London leave his future in a cloud of uncertainty.
Pressing the restart button at this stage in his career could do Havertz a world of good. A departure is not ruled out given Chelsea’s need to sell players and Real Madrid are said to be one of the many clubs pursuing his signature.
According to reports from SPORT1, Los Blancos are still interested in the German international. However, they do not wish to pay more than €50 million for his signature. Chelsea, on the other hand, demand a fee of €60 million without bonuses.
Havertz has multiple options on his table but is currently holding them off in anticipation of a move from Real Madrid. After all, It is his desire to don the white colours.
A player of his quality would fit into this Real Madrid team like a hand in a glove. However, the Merengues have their priorities set and the need of the hour is an out-and-out centre-forward. Any other position occupies second-tier importance.
Earlier today, reports stated that the Merengues were no longer interested in Havertz and that his signature was completely ruled out for a combination of sporting and economic reasons.
The U-turn could be down to Toni Kroos’ influence. The German star knows Havertz well and sees him as an ideal fit for Los Blancos’ attack. Given his close association with Carlo Ancelotti, Kroos’ words come with significant weightage.
In 35 Premier League appearances for Chelsea in the 2022/23 campaign, the 23-year-old scored seven goals and provided one assist. Further, he averaged 1.1 key passes per game and created five big chances.
Real Madrid retain total confidence in Carlo Ancelotti despite derby disaster – report
Sunday night was a disappointing one for Real Madrid as they succumbed to a 3-1 defeat to arch-rivals Atletico Madrid in the Madrid derby at the Civitas Metropolitano.
The Merengues suffered their first defeat of the 2023/24 season as former striker Alvaro Morata scored a brace for the Rojiblancos while Antoine Griezmann was also on target.
Real Madrid might be feeling aggrieved by some of the calls made by the referee on the night but they were just not good enough to secure all three points at the Metropolitano.
Real Madrid retain full confidence in Ancelotti
Despite the disappointing performance and outcome, Real Madrid retain their full and total confidence in manager Carlo Ancelotti, reports Jose Felix Diaz (via RM4Arab).
There had been question marks about the team selection made by the manager for the derby against Atletico Madrid.
After all, the Italian opted to bench Joselu from the starting XI to bring in Luka Modric and shift the tactics.
Aurelien Tchouameni was also left out despite being one of the team’s strongest performers this season with Toni Kroos being preferred.
The Real Madrid hierarchy wishes for the manager to trust the next-gen midfield for the big games but Ancelotti’s selection indicated that he is still not ready to do so.
Despite there being some differences, the board retains full confidence in Ancelotti.
Ancelotti accepts blame for defeat
It was a disappointing performance from Real Madrid in their biggest test of the 2023/24 season so far and speaking after the match, manager Ancelotti accepted the blame for the outcome.
“Maybe I could have done it better. It’s pretty clear. When the team doesn’t do what it has to do, it’s my responsibility. It’s my fault,” Ancelotti said.
With the game done and dusted, Real Madrid now turn their focus towards producing a strong comeback when they face Las Palmas later this week.