Football is a global sport, more so for a club of Real Madrid’s stature. The Merengues have a fanbase that extends across the globe, and the pre-season gives some of these fans a chance to appreciate their idols from close range.
The United States of America is one such nation where the sport is rapidly growing. In fact, the next FIFA World Cup will be played there, and it is clear that there is a massive market to be tapped.
The Soccer Champions Tour saw Real Madrid, alongside Barcelona, Arsenal, Juventus, AC Milan, and Manchester United travel to the USA for pre-season.
Needless to say, the revenue was one of the biggest factors in finalising the location.
According to reports from AS, Los Blancos will earn a little over €15 million from the recently concluded tour. The aforementioned sum is that earned across the four games played in different cities.
A growing trend
This is not the first time Real Madrid are travelling to the North American nation in the preseason. A similar event was conducted in the summer of building up to the 2022/23 campaign which also featured a pre-season Clasico like this year.
The last time around, the event was held while the COVID restrictions were being relaxed. Yet, it generated a revenue of €12 million at the time for the Merengues.
One year later, that number has gone up at least by €3 million.
Real Madrid are thus expected to stay loyal to the USA for their pre-season campaigns in the years to come as long as the revenue is as promising.
A largely successful tour
While the competition in the US helped on the financial front, it is safe to say that it also served its purpose from a sporting perspective.
Los Blancos won two of their games in America but lost the Clasico and their final game to Juventus. Nevertheless, it provided Carlo Ancelotti with a good stage to test his formulae and get to know his squad better.
Real Madrid goalscorer played with a dislocated shoulder against Las Palmas
Journalist Arancha Rodriguez has claimed that Real Madrid forward Brahim Diaz played the Las Palmas game with a dislocation in his right shoulder, which actually happened last Sunday during the derby match against Atletico Madrid.
The news was later confirmed by the forward’s father, Sufiel Abdekalder, who told The Athletic, “Yes [he had dislocated shoulder], but we didn’t want it to be public. Our 100% focus was on the match.”
The former AC Milan loanee started his first game of the season and it was his goal that marked the beginning of Real Madrid’s 2-0 win over Las Palmas.
The 24-year-old was later replaced in the 57th minute but by then, the Los Blancos had already established a two-goal lead.
“I’m so proud, you can’t describe the feeling, it’s something unique. I can only thank the fans because I’ve had an incredible welcome. I’m very happy to be here and play for this badge,” the forward said after the game.
Special outing for Diaz
The Las Palmas game was the first time that Diaz started a game for Real Madrid.
The versatile attacking midfielder found himself among the five alterations made by Carlo Ancelotti following the disheartening derby performance against Atletico Madrid last Sunday, a game where Diaz was only introduced in the 70th minute.
The 24-year-old seized the opportunity with both hands, scoring the opening goal in what was a comfortable outing for the team.
Given the competition at hand, Diaz has been forced to settle for substitute appearances this season but fans have witnessed his unwavering dedication during this time.
The love he received from the Madrid supporters was shown when he was substituted during the second half.
While it is unlikely that his run in the first-team will continue, especially since Vinicius Jr. has now returned, the 24-year-old must continue to keep his head on the ground and work towards achieving the common goal this season.