Real Madrid News
Real Madrid trio ready to face Barcelona in Spanish Super Cup final after injury scares
Real Madrid booked their tickets to the Spanish Super Cup final where they face Barcelona this Sunday after beating Valencia in the semi-finals on penalties.
The game, which ended 1-1 after the final whistle, was not particularly an enjoyable event. Apart from being unable to break down the Los Che defence, the Whites had to witness some of their important players sustain knocks and injuries.
Eduardo Camavinga was one of the players to pick up a blow to the knee. Eder Militao and Lucas Vazquez were also substituted after picking up injuries to the head and the ankle, respectively.
Federico Valverde also had to depart in extra time after sustaining some knocks. In addition, players such as Ferland Mendy and Dani Carvajal were not a hundred percent fit heading into the game.
This led to a major injury scare for Real Madrid in the lead-up to the Supercopa de Espana final against Barcelona on Sunday.
However, according to AS, Carlo Ancelotti may not have to deal with too many injury problems, as the majority of the players who were unfit have responded well in training and should be ready for the final against Barcelona.
The players in question are Valverde, Camavinga, and Militao, who have all responded well and are in contention to feature against Barcelona. The latter underwent tests after sustaining a blow to the head and the results are said to be positive.
Carvajal and Mendy, who were not fully fit for the midweek clash, are expected to be in good shape heading into the El Clasico final.
In fact, Lucas Vazquez might be the only injury Ancelotti has to deal with after the right-back was ruled out for a month and a half.
This serves as a major boost for Real Madrid, who will be looking to bag the second trophy of the season when they lock horns with arch-rival Barça in the Spanish Super Cup final.
Real Madrid News
U-turn? Benzema hints at Real Madrid stay during ceremony: “Reality is not the internet”
There has been a lot of talk around Karim Benzema’s situation over the course of the last week or so, with reports claiming that the Frenchman was on his way out of the Santiago Bernabeu.
With his contract expiring at the end of the season, it was reported that Benzema was joining Al Ittihad as part of an incredible deal worth nearly €200 million. The striker was also offered 100% of his image rights and advertising deals by the Saudi government.
Over the last day or so, it has been reported that the move is all but official at the moment, as Benzema has accepted the offer, and will soon inform Real Madrid about it.
Benzema was awarded the MARCA Leyenda awards for contribution to sports today, and speaking during it, he dropped a rather cryptic message about his future – one that says quite the opposite to what has been in the news recently.
“Speak to the fans? Speak about what? Why should I speak of the future if I’m in Madrid?”, Benzema said.
“It’s the internet speaking, and reality is not the internet,” he added.
This certainly falls away from the departure line for Benzema, who was reportedly already contemplating his life away from Madrid.
At first, though, he was hesitant about speaking about his future, saying, “Staying or leaving Real Madrid? At the moment, I’m here…we have a game on Saturday.”
He repeatedly talked about the fans, calling them the best in world football. He also said, “I know how much Real Madrid fans love me. I feel that when I’m on the pitch, I give my best for them, always.”
“I always say that we play with 11 on the pitch but also with a crucial factor, Real Madrid fans,” Benzema concluded.