Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid veteran issues update on contract situation: “Felt very bad at the beginning”

Published

on

Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images

Speaking after Real Madrid’s thumping 5-2 win over Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League, veteran defender Nacho Fernandez has provided an update on his contract situation.

The 33-year-old versatile defender is out of contract with Los Blancos at the end of the season, but is yet to make a decision on his continuity.

It had been reported in the past that Nacho could decide to move on from the Santiago Bernabeu in the summer as he was not happy with his reduced role under Carlo Ancelotti this season.

But, things have improved for Nacho in recent weeks, especially with some of the defenders struggling with injuries. And the veteran star has made the most of his chances, turning in solid performances one after the other.

It was no different on Tuesday against Liverpool, as he kept Mohamed Salah under wraps after coming on as a substitute for the injured David Alaba in the first half.

Speaking to COPE after the game about his future, Nacho admitted that he was very upset at the beginning of the season. However, he insisted that the club were open to offering him a new deal if he wanted to continue, although he is yet to make a decision.

As quoted by Fabrizio Romano, Nacho said: “Real told me that if I want, I can renew. I haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet. I felt very bad at the beginning of the season. I will make a personal decision on my future, it’s about my family too.”

A product of the club’s youth academy, Nacho has been a solid and reliable member of the team for years now, even though he has not always been a regular starter in the lineup.

The 33-year-old has proven his usefulness time and again this season, slotting in everywhere across the backline, while his leadership also makes him an asset.

With the team set to go through a transition of sorts, it would bode well for Real Madrid to retain a player of Nacho’s experience and leadership abilities at least for another year.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Official: Real Madrid duo start for Spain against Luka Modric’s Croatia

Published

on

Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images

Spain will begin their UEFA Euro 2024 journey in a little over an hour with a clash against Croatia at the Olympiastadion in Berlin.

Ahead of the match, Luis de la Fuente has announced the starting lineup that will be taking the field for La Roja and two Real Madrid stars feature in the team.

Indeed, Los Blancos’ captain Nacho Fernandez gets the nod as one of the centre-backs amid some injury concerns for Spain.

Meanwhile, Dani Carvajal holds on to his usual place as the right-back for La Roja against Croatia.

There is no place in the starting lineup for Real Madrid forward Joselu, though, with De la Fuente preferring Alvaro Morata as his No. 9 instead.

While Croatia are yet to announce their starting lineup, it is all but certain that Real Madrid midfielder and legend Luka Modric will be in the team and will be captaining them against two of his club teammates today.

Continue Reading