There appears to be no end in sight in the story of Kylian Mbappe and Real Madrid. The Frenchman’s move to the Santiago Bernabeu was initially thought to be a straightforward affair but is now presenting its own set of complications.
Tomas Gonzalez-Martin provides an update on the World Cup winner’s transfer. He states that in the ongoing negotiations between Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain, Los Blancos do not see the finances as an issue.
They began the transfer window with an offer of €150 million as the starting point for signing Mbappe. As discussions progress, they are now willing to reach €200 million with an additional €20 million in bonuses.
Los Blancos, for their part, are willing to sign the big cheque, but PSG demand €300 million, with €250 million being the fixed fee and another €50 million in add-ons.
The ball is now in the French superstar’s court. PSG are willing to sell him and Real Madrid are doing everything under their power to bring him in this summer. Yet, the matter is not straightforward.
Mbappe is contracted to earn close to €150 million in wages and bonus payments over the next year with PSG and does not want to lose out on it. He is pushing to stay another year, for it would also enable him to command a massive signing-on bonus from the Merengues next summer.
Facing the possibility of missing out on both paydays if he leaves for Real Madrid this summer, Mbappe has put a condition over his departure – he will consider leaving PSG if he is paid the €150 million that he would be owed next season.
It does cast doubts over a move as even though PSG are intent on getting rid of Mbappe, they would obviously be reluctant to pay him the huge amount of money, despite the fact that they could receive in excess of €200 million as transfer fees.
Real Madrid are not expected to make any more forward signings this summer barring that of Mbappe. In fact, reports go as far as to state that the transfer market is closed now at the Bernabeu.
But it may very well be a strategy from the club as it does seem unlikely that they will go into the season without a top striker if Mbappe does not arrive.
Real Madrid rising star suffered against Atletico due to veteran forward’s absence, says Simeone
Real Madrid’s 3-1 defeat to Atletico Madrid was not the first time were in trouble this season. In fact, the Merengues have gone behind early in almost every league game so far.
However, the difference on Sunday night was that they never really mounted a comeback. More importantly, Jude Bellingham did not come good, for the first time.
Simeone unravels the mystery
A jubilant Diego Simeone spoke to the media after his side downed Real Madrid by three goals to one and spoke about a plethora of topics.
Interestingly, he commented specifically on why Bellingham did not have an impact at Civitas Metropolitano, citing the absence of Joselu as a key factor.
“No, the spaces were reduced and I think that Joselu’s lack of presence left him with fewer chances to get there, when he takes advantage of Joselu’s aerial play. We controlled him better, he’s extraordinary,” he said, as quoted by AS.
He even called out the refereeing on the night and insisted that the Real Madrid star-boy should have seen red for his late tackle on Angel Correa, saying:
“It looked like a sending-off to me live, it was a hard leg up, with Angelito hitting the ball.”
Ironically, he defended his defender Jose Maria Gimenez for an equally threatening tackle on the night.
“A bad foul, it’s a yellow card because it goes sideways. Bellingham goes from the front and I think it’s a bit more,” he stated paradoxically.
No time to lament
The game at Civitas Metropolitano may not have gone Real Madrid’s way. Yet, it is good for the Merengues to taste defeat early and see the gaping holes in their dynamic.
Carlo Ancelotti admitted in his press conference that he bore the lion’s share of the fault for Sunday’s loss and that he would have done things differently if given the chance.
“Maybe I could have done it better. It’s pretty clear. When the team doesn’t do what it has to do, it’s my responsibility,” he stated.
Nevertheless, Los Blancos have a hectic schedule ahead with two games in the next five days and a UCL fixture against Napoli next week. With Vinicius Jr back, one hopes they find their mojo once again.