Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid winger’s decision to stay at club was financially motivated

Published

on

Photo by GABRIEL BOUYS/AFP via Getty Images

Ahead of the summer transfer window of 2022, the forward line seemed to be the area of interest at Real Madrid. The club were linked with some of world football’s biggest names like Kylian Mbappe and Erling Haaland.

However, Los Blancos made no new additions to their forward arsenal in the past three months. The team head into the new season with a similar core in attack, especially given that players like Mariano Diaz and Marco Asensio did not leave the club.

According to reports from Tomas Gonzalez (h/t MadridXtra), Asensio’s decision to stay at Real Madrid was not entirely motivated by the possibility of regaining the manager’s trust.

The Spaniard is looking to run down his contract to become a free agent next summer to collect a large signing bonus from his next team.

Yet, Ancelotti is not concerned by the motive of the forward’s decision. When asked about Asensio’s situation yesterday, the manager said,

“He (Asensio) is happy that he’s staying. He has been very good last season and will get minutes.”

The Spaniard has seen very little involvement in the team dynamics so far this season. He did not even come off the bench in Los Blancos’ games against Eintracht Frankfurt, Espanyol and Almeria.

The only time Asensio graced the pitch this season was against against Celta Vigo, when he came on with less than ten minutes of regulation time to spare.

Last season, Asensio scored ten goals for the club across 31 games in the league and was one of Ancelotti’s most trusted options to fill the third place in attack. Now, he must compete with Rodrygo, Eden Hazard, and Federico Valverde to get minutes under his belt.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid teenage prodigy needs to play more, insists national team manager

Published

on

Real Madrid's Turkish midfielder #24 Arda Guler watches from the bench the UEFA Champions League group C football match between Real Madrid CF and SC Braga at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid on November 8, 2023. (Photo by Thomas COEX / AFP) (Photo by THOMAS COEX/AFP via Getty Images)
Photo by THOMAS COEX/AFP via Getty Images

The situation with Arda Guler at Real Madrid has become tense in recent days. The Turkish phenom has not been at the receiving end of many minutes despite completing his recovery from injuries, and the player is now getting fed up with his situation.

It is, however, not just Guler who is affected by the situation. With the European Championships coming up, the 19-year-old looks likely to enter the competition with Turkey with no match fitness, and his international federation is far from happy with his situation.

Turkey manager speaks out

Speaking at the recent sponsorship event of the Turkish National Team, head coach Vincenzo Montella was asked to comment on Guler’s situation at Real Madrid.

As a former Sevilla coach and with knowledge of how La Liga works, he understood the circumstances and hoped for the player to see more minutes.

“He is playing very little, but I hope he can do it from now on because he has a lot of talent,” he said, as quoted by SPORT.

Vincenzo Montella wants Arda Guler to play more at Real Madrid. (Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images)

Montella went on to reinstate that he still maintains complete confidence in the Real Madrid star’s abilities for the upcoming tournament, despite his drought for minutes.

“We are following him very carefully. We want our players to be in their best physical condition for the European Championship.”

Exit on the cards?

Guler has played only 92 minutes all season and is now vexed by his helplessness. As revealed yesterday, he feels misguided and is unhappy with how the circumstances are currently.

The disappointed star, thus, could seek an exit, potentially on loan, from the club next summer if his situation does not improve.

But with Jude Bellingham and Brahim Diaz both on song, it does not appear like Guler’s chance in Madrid will arrive anytime soon.

Carlo Ancelotti retains faith in the Turkish star, and it remains to be seen if he looks to turn the player’s fortune around in the coming months.

Continue Reading