Connect with us

Atletico Madrid News

Simeone talks Griezmann, Hermoso, fans ahead of Atletico Madrid vs Celta Vigo

Published

on

Photo by OSCAR DEL POZO/AFP via Getty Images

Atletico Madrid will look to get back to winning ways in La Liga when they lock horns with Celta Vigo at the Civitas Metropolitano on Saturday night.

Los Rojiblancos have not made the best of start to the season and are currently seventh in the table, having collected just seven points from their first four matches. But a morale-boosting last-minute win over FC Porto in the UEFA Champions League could act as the catalyst for the Rojiblancos.

Ahead of the game, Diego Simeone addressed the media in his customary pre-match briefing. The Atletico Madrid manager was asked about the situation of Antoine Griezmann, with Barcelona threatening legal action against the Colchoneros over the €40 million payment dispute.

When asked if he was worried that Griezmann might feel let down by the club due to their stance, Simeone deflected from the topic and replied: “I think Celta is working very well. That’s what really worries us.”

Talking about his opponents on Saturday, Simeone also said: “They are working very well, have been competing hard. They play very well, with a coach who has very clear ideas.”

On the decision to keep using Griezmann for 30 minutes or less in each game, Simeone said: “I have been very clear day by day. I have already explained the same thing several times and I will not repeat it again.”

In a recent interview, Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo stated that he had not passed any instructions to Simeone about regulating Griezmann’s minute.

When asked about the club supremo’s statements, the manager replied: “If the president says so. Where a captain rules, the sailor has no sway.”

The manager also spoke highly of Mario Hermoso, showering praise for how he had turned things around at the Metropolitano after a difficult first season.

“He has already shown his qualities after the first season when he didn’t play much. In the La Liga triumph in his second season, he was very important. Last year he had competition from Reinildo, but he continues to work very well,” Simeone said.

We are going to need everyone because the team needs the energy to give people what they want to see.”

Fans were unhappy with some substitutions and tactical decisions made by Simeone in the game against Porto. In particular, they had whistled when Joao Felix had been taken off for Angel Correa.

Talking about the atmosphere in the stands, the Atletico Madrid boss said: “I have everything very clear because I have been at Atletico for a long time and I know everything that happens.

“What we have to do is entertain people and get them hooked. It depends on us. After so many years at the club, it’s all pretty clear to me.”

Source: MARCA

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Atletico Madrid News

Ancelotti talks Courtois, Militao, Bellingham, VAR controversies ahead of Las Palmas vs Real Madrid

Published

on

Photo by David Ramos/Getty Images

Coming off a highly controversial game against Almeria, Real Madrid will now travel to Gran Canaria to take on Las Palmas tomorrow as part of the early kick-off.

Carlo Ancelotti spoke about the clash tomorrow, starting off by confirming his goalkeeper for tomorrow, “Lunin will start tomorrow.”

He also added that Madrid were looking to get back to their usual level after back-to-back poor performances, one of which included elimination against Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey round of 16.

“We are motivated to return to our best level after 2 bad games.”

The Italian gaffer also commented on the biggest football story in the world today, which was Jurgen Klopp announcing his decision to leave Liverpool at the end of the season.

“It’s quite surprising, I understand. Working for a long time with the same club and players lowers your motivation a bit. He’s doing a fantastic job at Liverpool.”

And of course, Ancelotti also spoke about the leaked VAR audiovisual, some of which are highly controversial for all parties involved. Barcelona coach and players have also commented on the same, in light of the Negreira case.

“They have talked a lot. Everyone knows what has happened in the last 20 years in Spanish football. The Civil Guard is carrying out an investigations. That is the real problem of Spanish football.”

Luckily for the manager and fans, all injured players — minus the ACL trio of David Alaba, Eder Militao, and Thibaut Courtois — are available. Jude Bellingham is suspended, however.

“Everyone is available now after the recent period of injuries.”

“Making up for Bellingham’s absence tomorrow? Brahim and Joselu are available options. They were able to show themselves after I relied on them as substitutes,” he added.

And as far as Militao and Courtois are concerned, both of whom tore their ACL early in the season, Ancelotti suggested that they could make their return before the season ends.

“Courtois and Militão both have the option to play this season. The recovery process is going very well, they are training on an individual level. It is February and these types of injuries last 6-8 months, so I think they will recover before the end of the season.”

Source: Mundo Deportivo

Continue Reading