According to MARCA, Real Madrid’s defeat to Barcelona in the finals of the Spanish Super Cup on Sunday night has sent the alarm bells ringing. Tensions are said to be rising within the camp after a torrid start to the second half of the season post-World Cup.
Real Madrid resumed their campaign with a late, unconvincing win over Real Valladolid and just about managed to beat fourth-division side Cacereno in the Copa del Rey. Following that, Villarreal managed to get the better of Carlo Ancelotti’s men in La Liga.
As per the report, following the loss to Quique Setien’s side, doubts had started to creep in at Real Madrid as they flew to Riyadh for the Super Cup.
And the unconvincing display against Valencia, where they needed penalties to win the semi-finals, only served to increase those doubts.
Ancelotti had made it a point to warn the team about their defensive lapses in recent matches as well as the lack of intensity.
But on Sunday, Real Madrid seemed to have not heeded their manager’s repeated warnings as they were all over the place defensively, while they failed to show the heart and fight one usually associates with them.
Each of Barcelona’s three games came from the Merengues being unable to deal with the opponents’ press while they hardly offered much bite going forward on the night, with Karim Benzema’s late goal coming as a mere consolation.
While the Spanish Super Cup is not seen as a major title, it is still a trophy, and Real Madrid pride themselves on winning silverware. And losing to their arch-rivals in the manner that they did has now seen tensions increase within the camp.
Following the disappointment, Real Madrid are now viewing the upcoming Copa del Rey clash against Villarreal at the Estadio de la Ceramica as a ‘final’ of sorts.
Their record away against the Yellow Submarines has been abysmal in recent times and Ancelotti & co. will need to produce a strong reaction to ease any talks of crisis at the club after the poor run of results.
Real Madrid closely following the progress of 19-year-old Brazilian centre-back
Real Madrid have made it a habit to identify and sign the best young talents from Brazil in recent times. The Merengues recently signed Endrick Felipe from Palmeiras, although the striker will join the club in 2024, once he turns 18 years old.
Now, according to journalist Bruno Andrade on UOL Esporte, Real Madrid have set their sights on 19-year-old Brazilian defender Robert Renan.
The teenage centre-half came through the ranks at Corinthians and went on to make 13 senior appearances for the Brazilian outfit. He left the club last month to sign for Russian giants Zenit St. Petersburg as part of the operation involving Yuri Alberto.
Renan is yet to make his debut for Zenit, but Real Madrid have had their eyes on the 19-year-old for a while now and have been closely following his progress and performances.
The teenage defender is currently a part of the Brazil U-20 team at the South American U-20 Championship in Colombia. And he has performed admirably in the tournament, featuring in each of his team’s five matches so far.
Renan’s performances in the U-20 Championship are said to have further piqued the interest of Real Madrid.
The report suggests that Los Blancos will continue keeping tabs on the young defender’s development at Zenit over the coming months.
With Nacho Fernandez’s contract expiring at the end of the season and Jesus Vallejo’s future uncertain as well, Real Madrid could use a defensive reinforcement in the summer to support Eder Militao, David Alaba and Antonio Rudiger.
Established players such as Josko Gvardiol have been linked with a move to the Bernabeu.
Renan, too, could be an option for Real Madrid in the summer. But, as things stand, the interest in the Brazilian is at a very nascent stage and the Merengues will continue to track his progress at Zenit, where his contract runs until 2028.