Connect with us

Real Madrid News

U-turn? Benzema hints at Real Madrid stay during ceremony: “Reality is not the internet”

Published

on

Photo by Florencia Tan Jun/Getty Images

There has been a lot of talk around Karim Benzema’s situation over the course of the last week or so, with reports claiming that the Frenchman was on his way out of the Santiago Bernabeu.

With his contract expiring at the end of the season, it was reported that Benzema was joining Al Ittihad as part of an incredible deal worth nearly €200 million. The striker was also offered 100% of his image rights and advertising deals by the Saudi government.

Over the last day or so, it has been reported that the move is all but official at the moment, as Benzema has accepted the offer, and will soon inform Real Madrid about it.

Benzema was awarded the MARCA Leyenda awards for contribution to sports today, and speaking during it, he dropped a rather cryptic message about his future – one that says quite the opposite to what has been in the news recently.

“Speak to the fans? Speak about what? Why should I speak of the future if I’m in Madrid?”, Benzema said.

“It’s the internet speaking, and reality is not the internet,” he added.

This certainly falls away from the departure line for Benzema, who was reportedly already contemplating his life away from Madrid.

At first, though, he was hesitant about speaking about his future, saying, “Staying or leaving Real Madrid? At the moment, I’m here…we have a game on Saturday.”

He repeatedly talked about the fans, calling them the best in world football. He also said, “I know how much Real Madrid fans love me. I feel that when I’m on the pitch, I give my best for them, always.”

“I always say that we play with 11 on the pitch but also with a crucial factor, Real Madrid fans,” Benzema concluded.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Real Madrid 23-year-old striker close to finalising a move to Real Valladolid – report

Published

on

Photo by Aitor Alcalde/Getty Images

After two years on loan at Getafe, former Real Madrid striker Juanmi Latasa has returned to the Spanish capital.

His performances, after all, were not enough to coerce his foster club to push for a permanent transfer.

The 23-year-old striker made 32 appearances for Getafe last season, including 15 starts. However, he only had two goals to show for his regular participation and it is safe to label his time at the club as a disappointment.

Now back in Madrid, Latasa is unlikely to get a chance to make a mark at the club. All signs point to a departure in the coming days.

The overwhelming favorite

As revealed in a recent report by Jorge C Picon, several first-division teams in Spain have reported interest in the young striker. Real Valladolid however, are the overwhelming favourites.

The La Liga side are looking for a striker with a good physical presence, height, a strong aerial presence and a knack for goal.

Latasa (L) set to leave Real Madrid. (Photo by Fran Santiago/Getty Images)

Latasa ticks all the boxes they demand and negotiations between the two clubs are expected to progress in the coming days.

Latasa’s sale, at this point, is thus taken for granted. Leganes and Espanyol are some of the other clubs interested in his services.

No scope in Madrid

Carlo Ancelotti, over the years, has not carved out a reputation as one who trusts academy stars heavily. In his defence, however, he has always had superior options available.

Heading into next season, Los Blancos have a packed forward department including Kylian Mbape, Vinicius Jr, Rodrygo Goes and Endrick.

Considering that the well-established Joselu himself saw no scope at the club next season, it is safe to say that Latasa understands his situation.

From Real Madrid’s perspective, it remains to be seen if they maintain any leverage on his future.

Continue Reading