Real Madrid News
Veteran Spanish striker wants to play for Real Madrid: “I would go tomorrow”
Speaking in a chat with El Larguero, veteran Spanish striker Fernando Llorente has claimed that he has always wanted to play for Real Madrid and would jump at the chance in a heartbeat if they approached him.
The 37-year-old is currently without a club since leaving Eibar at the end of the season. A vastly experienced footballer, Llorente has played for teams like Athletic Club, Juventus, Tottenham Hotspur, Sevilla and Napoli.
However, the former Spanish international has now admitted that the one club he wished to play for is Real Madrid. He also revealed that he was never close to a move to the Santiago Bernabeu.
But he did admit that a transfer could have been possible in 2013 when his contract at Athletic had expired, but Juventus acted swiftly to sign him up.
“I would have liked to wear white. Real Madrid are incredible what they are doing in the Champions League and what we experienced last season,” Llorente said.
“I was never close to Real Madrid. Whenever they wanted me, they didn’t pay the clause and then Juventus was faster,” he added.
Llorente, who is still on the lookout for a new club this season, also added that he would jump at the chance to join for Real Madrid if an opportunity presented itself.
“I would go to Real Madrid for free tomorrow,” the 2010 FIFA World Cup winner exclaimed.
Los Blancos have a lack of depth in the striking department behind captain Karim Benzema as Mariano Diaz is no longer favoured by manager Carlo Ancelotti. However, Rodrygo Goes has thrived playing centrally in recent matches when Real Madrid have been without Benzema.
They are expected to sign a new striker next year or possibly in 2024. But, there is little to no chance that they will consider a move for Llorente.
Real Madrid News
U-turn? Benzema hints at Real Madrid stay during ceremony: “Reality is not the internet”
There has been a lot of talk around Karim Benzema’s situation over the course of the last week or so, with reports claiming that the Frenchman was on his way out of the Santiago Bernabeu.
With his contract expiring at the end of the season, it was reported that Benzema was joining Al Ittihad as part of an incredible deal worth nearly €200 million. The striker was also offered 100% of his image rights and advertising deals by the Saudi government.
Over the last day or so, it has been reported that the move is all but official at the moment, as Benzema has accepted the offer, and will soon inform Real Madrid about it.
Benzema was awarded the MARCA Leyenda awards for contribution to sports today, and speaking during it, he dropped a rather cryptic message about his future – one that says quite the opposite to what has been in the news recently.
“Speak to the fans? Speak about what? Why should I speak of the future if I’m in Madrid?”, Benzema said.
“It’s the internet speaking, and reality is not the internet,” he added.
This certainly falls away from the departure line for Benzema, who was reportedly already contemplating his life away from Madrid.
At first, though, he was hesitant about speaking about his future, saying, “Staying or leaving Real Madrid? At the moment, I’m here…we have a game on Saturday.”
He repeatedly talked about the fans, calling them the best in world football. He also said, “I know how much Real Madrid fans love me. I feel that when I’m on the pitch, I give my best for them, always.”
“I always say that we play with 11 on the pitch but also with a crucial factor, Real Madrid fans,” Benzema concluded.