Connect with us

Real Madrid News

Chelsea defender ruled out of UCL clash against Real Madrid, confirms Lampard

Published

on

Photo by Angel Martinez/Getty Images

Chelsea manager Frank Lampard has confirmed that defender Kalidou Koulibaly will not be available for selection when they take on Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg next week.

Real Madrid hosted the Blues in the first leg of the quarter-final tie earlier this week and emerged victorious with a 2-0 scoreline. Carlo Ancelotti’s men completely outplayed Lampard’s side on Wednesday night and will go into the contest with a significant advantage.

Real Madrid have now been handed another boost as Lampard has confirmed Koulibaly will miss the game next week.

The Senegalese international suffered an injury during the game against Los Blancos this week. After being forced to chase Rodrygo Goes to deny him a goalscoring chance, the defender pulled up with a hamstring issue and had to be taken off.

Now, Lampard has confirmed that the defender will not be available for their upcoming Premier League match against Brighton & Hove Albion and will also miss the encounter versus Real Madrid.

“Koulibaly he won’t be available for either game. A matter of weeks rather than days. He’s a very good, very experienced player. People talk a lot about our squad, Champions League squad is different to Premier League and a disappointment but also an opportunity,” he said (h/t Football.london).

Koulibaly joined Chelsea from Napoli in the summer and has been a regular in the Blues’ defence this season. His absence will come as a blow as they look to put up a fightback against Real Madrid next week.

Given that they will have to score at least three goals and stop Real Madrid from finding the back of the net, it seems unlikely that Lampard & co. will be able to scale the mountain and pull off a comeback.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Madrid News

Brazil not giving up on pursuit of Ancelotti: “Haven’t thrown in the towel yet”

Published

on

Photo by Florencia Tan Jun/Getty Images

Speaking to the media, Brazil Football Confederations (CBF) president Ednaldo Rodrigues has claimed that the Selecao have not given up on their pursuit of Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti, despite the Italian stating that he will not leave the club.

Brazil have been without a manager since the World Cup in Qatar last year, following which Tite stepped down. The CBF have made Ancelotti their top target and have been pursuing his signing for months but to no avail.

The 63-year-old Italian tactician has, on more than one occasion, made it clear that he will be at Real Madrid next season, with his contract expiring in 2024.

However, CBF president Rodrigues is adamant that Ancelotti’s statements are due to him being cautious as he is under contract at Real Madrid and that the Selecao are not prepared to give up on their quest to appoint him as of yet.

“We made a plan, that ‘Plan A’ is the one you know, Ancelotti, and as they say in the ‘ring’ (boxing), I haven’t thrown in the towel yet,” Rodrigues said (h/t Mundo Deportivo).

“Because of contracts, people are cautious,” he added.

Ancelotti, for his part, has repeatedly stated that he does not intend to leave Real Madrid unless he is forced out of the club.

Despite missing out on the La Liga and the UEFA Champions League titles last season, the club continue to back the veteran Italian and are planning for next season with him in charge.

So, despite Rodrigues’ confidence and perseverance, it is extremely unlikely that Ancelotti will be leaving Real Madrid for Brazil this summer.

Continue Reading